brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:14 am

Wii Beginner's Guide [Updated: 12/3/2008]

Contents:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Introduction
2. Setting Up the Twilight Hack
3. Creating an Update Disc
4. Installing the Homebrew Channel
5. Using the Homebrew Channel
6. FAQ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*~*~*~* 1. Introduction *~*~*~*

Please read this beginner's tutorial in it's entirety before doing anything to your Wii!!!

I want to hack my Wii... how do I do it?

There's 2 things you can do with your Wii:

1: Play backup games
2: Run homebrew

For playing backups, the BEST way to do so is with a modchip. It has the best compatibility, it is reliable, it is awesome. There is a 'softmod' method as well that will allow you to play backups on a non-chipped Wii. As I personally have no experience working with this method it will not be covered in this guide. Also, there is tons of information on the various modchips, so this guide will focus on enabling your Wii to use homebrew.

To even get started with homebrew, you are going to need a copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess for Wii. With this you will be running the Twilight Hack. This next part will explain how to set it up.

*~*~*~* 1. Introduction *~*~*~*

*~*~*~* 2. Setting Up the Twilight Hack *~*~*~*

First we need to determine what version your Wii is. Go into your system menu and look in the right hand corner. You will see a number followed by a letter (i.e. 3.2U). This is your system version. If you are UNDER 3.2, you might need to upgrade. 3.2 is the best version, 3.3 having most of the functionality as 3.2. The latest 3.4 is not ideal, so I DO NOT recommend updating through the Wii's built-in update feature.

If you would like to update to only 3.2/3.3 and you have a Wii with a modchip installed, please read the update disc creation section next.

Keep in mind, if your Wii is version 3.4, then your Wii will automatically delete the Twilight Hack file every time you return to the main channel menu. Each and every time you want to run the Twilight Hack you will have to recopy it to your Wii!

Back to the Twilight Hack...

Requirements:
-Copy of Wii Zelda: Twilight Princess
-SD card
-Twilight Hack files: (3.x-3.3)(3.4 Manual install)
-Your boot.elf or boot.dol file

Step 1: Extract the Twilight Hack files. Make sure the SD card you are using is formatted to FAT 16, or just FAT on some computers.

Step 2: If you already have a Zelda save file on your Wii, copy it to your SD card, delete it from the Wii, and save it on your computer. We are going to replace this file.

Step 3: Create the directories “/private/wii/title/RZDx/” on your SD card. x stands for the 4th letter in the file name of the file you will use, depending on your copy of Zelda. Please refer to the table below to see what to use in place of x.

table taken from Wiibrew.org

For example, I have a US copy of Zelda. The inner ring of my disc reads “RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN” so my directories would be “/private/wii/title/RZDE/”. In this folder you would place the appropriate file according to the table. Again, in my example, I would use the file titled “rzde0.bin”. Then rename this file to “data.bin”.

Step 4: Insert the SD card into the Wii. Go to Wii Options/Data Management/Save Data/Wii then click on the “SD Card” tab. The Twilight Hack save file should have an icon reading “Wiibrew loader”. Click the icon and select “Copy”. This will copy the hacked Zelda save file to your Wii.

You are now ready to run the Twilight Hack! The Twilight hack can be used to run elf or dol files on the root of your SD card titled "boot.elf" or "boot.dol".

*~*~*~* 2. Setting Up the Twilight Hack *~*~*~*

*~*~*~* 3. Creating an Update Disc *~*~*~*

This section will allow you to take a game ISO with an update, and replace that update with one of your choosing. This WILL NOT DOWNGRADE your Wii, but will allow you to UPDATE to any desired version.

Requirements:
-Wii Update Manager (PC application)
-Wii Game ISO with an update (sorry, legality issues force you to google for it)
-DVD's to burn with (duh)

Step 1: Open the Wii Update Manager and select your region. When the main window opens up go to the bottom of the screen and click on 'refresh update list'.

Step 2: Open the update list and click on the 3.2x_B (x being your region letter) and then download. Open update the list and click on the download and then 3.2b.

Step 3: Open your ISO with the Wii Update Manager. Go to 'Manage Update', select the 3.2 Update on list, and click replace.

Step 4: After the update manager has done its thing, burn the ISO using your preferred method, pop it in your Wii, and run the update like you would a retail disc.

*~*~*~* 3. Creating an Update Disc *~*~*~*

*~*~*~* 4. Installing the Homebrew Channel *~*~*~*

If you are on 3.2 or under and have a modchip installed, you can use the self booting ISO and skip the need of running the Twilight Hack. Download the correct ISO for your region:
USA
Japan
Europe

Step 1: Download the Homebrew Channel. Unpack the files then take the "boot.dol" file and place it in the root of your SD card.

Step 2: Fire up Zelda. Load the Twilight Hack save file. When the game opens up, just walk backwards and your game will crash, then load the elf file placed on your SD card (in this case, the Homebrew Channel dol). If everything has worked correctly you will see a little information screen warning you. To proceed with installation, follow the on-screen instructions.

If it fails to load the elf file, try reformatting your SD card, placing the "boot.elf" file back in the root of the card and trying again.

Step 3: Your Wii should automatically reset. Go back to the menu and you should see the Homebrew Channel on your Wii. Congrats!

Here'e my own personal video showing the installation (old Homebrew Channel): http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vU2WgZzPCJg

*~*~*~* 4. Installing the Homebrew Channel *~*~*~*

*~*~*~* 5. Using the Homebrew Channel *~*~*~*

So you've got your homebrew and you want to try it out. Well, a couple things to keep in mind. The older version of the Homebrew Channel (beta 8) will boot elf and dol files. The newest version (beta 9) will ONLY run dols. Make sure any homebrew you have is updated, and if it still is not in dol format, use the elf to dol converter (Windows, Linux).

Step 1: On the root of your SD card, create a folder titled "apps". This is the folder you will be putting all your elfs and dols in.

Step 2: Within the "apps" directory you must create folders for each individual elf/dol. You can name these whatever (usually the name of the program you are putting inside it). You will then place the elf/dol there titled "boot.elf" or "boot.dol". For example, using the SD explorer application, the file path would look like this:

X:\apps\sdexplorer0.8\boot.elf *X being the SD card drive letter*

Step 3: This is not essential to running the homebrew, but if you want you can add 2 extra files; "meta.xml" and/or "icon.png". The meta file will be used by the Homebrew Channel to display detailed information about the file within the channel. As you probably guessed, icon will be used to display an icon.

For the meta file, the following format must be used:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">
<name></name>
<coder></coder>
<version></version>
<release_date></release_date>
<short_description></short_description>
<long_description></long_description>
</app>

For example: (using ScummVM info)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">
<name>ScummVM</name>
<coder>dhewg</coder>
<version>rev32231</version>
<release_date>200805230000</release_date>
<short_description>Point & Click Adventures</short_description>
<long_description>ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games,
provided you already have their data files...</long_description>
</app>

For those of you who want an easier way, you can download a handy meta editor here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=87808&st=0

For the icon, it must be in png format, size being 128x48 pixels.

Step 4: Insert the SD card into the Wii, boot the Homebrew Channel, and enjoy playing your homebrew.

Please be aware that some homebrew requires extra files outside of the elf/dol. Usually these files will need to be placed on the root of the SD card, NOT in the folder used for the Homebrew Channel. Just read through the readmes to figure out what to do.

*~*~*~* 5. Using the Homebrew Channel *~*~*~*

*~*~*~* 6. FAQ *~*~*~*

Q: When I try to load a program, the progress bar hangs at 0%. What do I do?

A: You are using the old version of the Homebrew Channel. It had a bug in it that wouldn't load a program if a Gamecube memory card was in the Wii. Either take out the card, or update your Homebrew Channel.
This guide is definitely a work in progress and will never be able to answer ALL questions, but hopefully you'll find this helpful.

Q: Why am I getting the "this is not a valid wii application" error?

A: If you are using the newest version of the Homebrew Channel, then you are most likely using a piece of homebrew in elf format, which is unsupported. Find a dol version or convert it. If this doesn't solve your problem then there is a problem with your piece of homebrew.

Q: How do I uninstall the Homebrew Channel?

A: Just like any other Wii application. Go to Channel Management in settings and remove it.

Q: Can this install hacked Virtual Console games or other wad files?

A: Not by itself. You will need a wad installer which can be run THROUGH the Homebrew Channel. For more on installing these things, check out my other tutorial here.

*~*~*~* 6. FAQ *~*~*~*
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:08 am

A warning: DON'T ****ING UPDATE TO 3.3; IF YOU DO, THIS WON'T WORK.
EDIT: Never mind, Bushing found a way to make it work.
Last edited by 8-bit_ninja on Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

cjpopp

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Great Post. VERY helpful!
Listen to CLASSIC ROCK THAT NEVER STOPS!
9412 - The Rock Station
www.9412.com
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:33 am

The root of your SD card is just the basic level of the card, without going into any folders.
<<

StalWii80

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Wii Beginner's Guide

[quote="brentbizzle"]I want to hack my Wii... how do I do it?

A few questions about #1 playing backup games.....what needs to be done to do this, just install the twilight hack??? Does this mean I can borrow a copy of "Super Mario Galaxy" burn it and then play the burned disc in the Wii???? Or by backup games did you mean old nes/snes games via the emulators....

Also in regards to the last post, you actually have to own a copy of zelda for homebrew to always work???? Or can just a rental work?? Thanks
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 am

Re: Setup a homebrew channel

kevinmcguire wrote:
Blade wrote:Hi,

Apparently, it is required to have a copy (disk) for Twilight Princess in order to setup a homebrew channel and it means everyone needs to buy a copy of this Twilight Princess game if he/she wants to have homebrew channel. Hmmm, I do understand the Twilight Hack file is based on this Wii Zelda game but I am wondering if any Sport Hack file can be developed by using the Wii Sports game as everyone got this copy when purchased the wii console. Anyway, this is just my personal thought but I do appreciate the effort to come up with this homebrew channel. Great effort! :lol:

Just a thought. You don't need to run out and buy the game for Wii. Just go to a rental store and rent a copy for $4-$5. Much more cost friendly. That's what I'm about to do (with a coupon for a free game rental)!

EDIT: Nevermind. I re-read the tutorial and it does seem you need a copy of the game actually in the disk. My apologies.

Renting would work just fine, as you only need the game the first time you run the twilight hack. Once you run it, the Homebrew Channel will stay installed until otherwise deleted.

StalWii80 wrote:
brentbizzle wrote:I want to hack my Wii... how do I do it?

A few questions about #1 playing backup games.....what needs to be done to do this, just install the twilight hack??? Does this mean I can borrow a copy of "Super Mario Galaxy" burn it and then play the burned disc in the Wii???? Or by backup games did you mean old nes/snes games via the emulators....

Also in regards to the last post, you actually have to own a copy of zelda for homebrew to always work???? Or can just a rental work?? Thanks

You need a modchip to play back up games, the Homebrew Channel/Twilight Hack will not do this.
<<

StalWii80

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:13 am

Re: Setup a homebrew channel

Renting would work just fine, as you only need the game the first time you run the twilight hack. Once you run it, the Homebrew Channel will stay installed until otherwise deleted.

this is what I thought, thanks a bunch
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:59 am

Redownload the hack here
Redownload the homebrew channel here

Make sure the homebrew channel is named "boot.elf" and is in the root of the SD card. Delete the old twilight hack file and use the one you redownloaded.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:37 pm

What version Wii do you have? I'm assuming 3.4... in which you will need the newest version of the twilight hack. Get the newer version for 3.4 (just google it) and try it. Make sure to read the readme that's with the file.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Complete Overhaul 12/3/2008
<<

Wiimon

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Thank you for the guide. I am on version 3.2u and neither the homebrew pack, nor the method you show here would work for me. I was getting a question mark as the icon and when I tried to copy it into the Wii system memory, it would tell me "The data was not copied." I found that the problem was the format of my mem card. It was already FAT, but for some reason, it would not work. I had to reformat it, reload it, open the "SD Card" menu for the Wii...THEN insert it into the Wii. It worked after that. Just a little note for the other FNG's who may run into this problem.

EDIT: Hmm...I'm still having a problem. My system locks up when I speak to the guy...it never gets past that screen where it zooms in on them. I'll tear through Google and see if I can find the problem, but if I can't find an answer, do you have any suggestions? (Oh, and I'm using a 1GB card with only the "private" folder and the "elf" file on it. I have also tried it with the whole homebrew pack on the card but that didn't work either. I'm using the USA Zelda disc with the "2" in the version.
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:11 pm

I had the same problem when I was doing friends. It just froze after i talked to the guy. The pack I used had two seperate profiles of the twilight hack and when I chose the second one this fixed the problem.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!
<<

Wiimon

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:57 pm

What do you mean by "two separate profiles?" Are you talking about where you choose your save file? I have two of those but the guide I read told me to use the first one first.
<<

Wiimon

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:44 am

Yeah, loading that other save file allowed it to go through. I spent some time playing Super Mario All-stars today. (And for the record, Lost Levels really does seem less like what I expected the Japanese SMB2 to be, and more like SMB1 levels that were left on the cutting-room floor.) Anyway, I did end up getting an error. I exited the Homebrew channel, and it went to a black screen and told me to remove the disc, reset the system, and consult my manual for troubleshooting procedures. That happened only once.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:41 am

Yeah... I think sometimes the Wii hiccups. I've had it do the "consult manual" thing before in the past.

By the way, instead of double posting, please edit your last post. Thanks.
Next

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials