Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Facebook tutorial #2 - Deleting all your messages quickly.

<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Facebook tutorial #2 - Deleting all your messages quickly.

Introduction :
So, facebook annoyed it's users a while ago by trying to change something that was working perfectly fine. The Messages.

First thing they did, was add a stupid little archive "x" button, which did absolutely nothing other than moving your messages to another place - the archived messages. Which if you may notice is still in your Inbox. To access it, either open your inbox, scroll down and where you will see "view : unread archive", Click on archive, or simply access it by going to http://www.facebook.com/?sk=inbox&query=is%3Aarchived .
Even though it does what it's supposed to that feature to me is absolutely useless.

So what way did they leave for us to delete our messages?
Open your inbox, then open your message, the click on "Actions" which will bring a drop down menu, and then you can click on "delete messages". Oh wait there's more, you'll have to scroll down, and then click on "delete all" .

Hurray, You deleted your first message. It was pretty simple and easy to be honest. But what if you have around 200 messages? What if you get dumb messages from pages, or friends that are absolutely useless? Deleting them one by one is definitely not the answer. If you deleted all of them one by one, then you my friend are definitely not sane. :P

So using scripts, there is an easy way to add a little new button to your messages which will allow you to delete them, I'll show you how.

Tutorial :

If you're using Mozilla Firefox :

First of all you need to install Grease Monkey addon in firefox in order to install the required script. To install grease monkey simply visit the Grease Monkey Add-on webpage and click on add to firefox.

After you click on add to firefox button you will get an popup for installing grease monkey. Click install and after installing grease monkey restart firefox.

Now after you have installed Grease Monkey Addon visit the Facebook: Message quick-delete buttons webpage and click install button present on the top right corner.

Now you will get a popup for installing the script, click install button and the script will be installed.

After installing the script simply open you messages in your inbox and you will have a "d" (as in delete) button beside each message. You can simply click that to delete your message.

But be warned, you will not be prompted and the message will just delete if you click it.

If you're using Google Chrome :

You can directly install the script. Visit the Facebook: Message quick-delete buttons webpage and click install.

Then you will get a message in lower left corner of your browser asking you click continue.

After that you will get a popup to install the script, click install and script will be installed.

After installing the script simply open you messages in your inbox and you will have a "d" (as in delete) button beside each message. You can simply click that to delete your message.

But be warned, you will not be prompted and the message will just delete if you click it.

Opera
If you are using Opera then you will have to enable User Javascripts first.
For Mac, go to: O menu > Preferences > Advanced > Content > JavaScript options
For UNIX and Windows, go to: O menu > Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Content > JavaScript options

Click on choose, and choose a directory where you will save your scripts.

For e.g. , you can open "My Documents" , then create a folder named "Opera JavaScripts", and store your JavaScript files in here, and for the step above choose this folder.

Now open the Facebook: Message quick-delete buttons webpage and right click the install button on the top right corner and click on "Save linked content as" and select the folder you chose in the step above.

Restart Opera and you should be done.

If you're facing problems, such as the old chat not coming back on https://www.facebook.com (secure) or not coming at all then, type in "opera:config" in the address bar and a page will load. In the bar (on the page not the address bar) type in "User Javascripts", and a few options will come. Tick all of them. Click on save, and restart opera. It should work now.

If you have any problems, you can post below.

Edit - Added Opera.

Source - Research. And yes I took my time writing something for once :P
Last edited by The Cookie Monster on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Formerly DCM
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Facebook tutorial #2 - Deleting all your messages quickl

The only FB fix I want is the ability to delete a friend request rather than "Not now".

So Abajiba with 0 mutual friends...I never want to be friends with you
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:04 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:The only FB fix I want is the ability to delete a friend request rather than "Not now".

So Abajiba with 0 mutual friends...I never want to be friends with you

No comment on the tutorial? :'( :P

Well I'll search around and see if there is a way you can directly do it, but you can do it with the friend requests page :D

And to be honest, this is really easy.
Simply press "Not now."
Then open the friend requests page.
Scroll down to the bottom and click on "See (X) hidden requests".
A list will pop down, and you can delete simply that one by clicking "Delete Request" beside it, or all of them by clicking "Delete All" .
-Formerly DCM
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:15 pm

I know this. But FB just made me take multiple more steps, to "fix" something that wasn't broken at all.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:52 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:I know this. But FB just made me take multiple more steps, to "fix" something that wasn't broken at all.

I just had to
Attachments
675128d34318140c4e536cdf9c6d65d3.jpg
675128d34318140c4e536cdf9c6d65d3.jpg (151.21 KiB) Viewed 15932 times
-Formerly DCM

Return to General Chat