<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Re: Your iPhone 5 expectations :

Brent, I've only seen homebrew themes for the iPhone/iPod. Apple officially endorses them now or what? And widgets are only usable on jailbroken iPhones, too. Hmmm.... Seems like the only way to get what you want with their phones is to jailbreak them. Not that that's bad or anything, because I did it with mine, but for the average person, especially in America, that is too much work for them.
The iPhone really hasn't done anything right since the first one came out. Nothing it added was really exclusive to the iPhone and the iPhone is starting to use a lot of Android's ideas while claiming them as their own.

They said that people don't want multitasking and that's why they purposely left it out for a long time. They eventually added it.
They said that people don't want video capture and that's why they purposely left it out for a long time. They eventually added it.
They said that people don't want backgrounds and that's why they purposely left it out for a long time. They eventually added it.
They said that people don't want over-the-air backups and syncing and that's why they purposely left it out for a long time. They eventually added it.
Etc, etc.
They saw Android pull a lot of these features off nicely and had to catch up. I can't help but to see Apple as behind its time in the phone market.

And what makes me mad is that the first iPhone is capable of soooo many of these newer features, but Apple purposely blocks them. The first iPhone still cannot capture video unless you download a third party app. "Because the hardware does not support it."
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Wow.... poor battery life??? I am on the best network with the fastest 4G network, and i average 16+ hrs with heavy use on my tbolt clocked to 1.3ghz.

And adults don't put themes on there phone??? So these adults in the android community who are themers are childish? Cause thats what is implied. And only adults have Money. Yeah sure.

I barely have lag almost never, old phones yeah, current sometimes, so does iProducts. Don't say they don't.

The android market is absolutely far from crap. App store may have more apps but their all stupid apps, yes sum r cool not many tho. A majority of app store apps are fart apps, beer apps, and stupid childish crap. Have you even looked at the current market? Wher I have a book store, and movie store, and coming music store?

So tell me this, if the all mighty precious apple ipad and iphone are so great and established, why does Android hold 48% market share of all I mean all smartphones? Why is its tablet on the uprise and starting to take control of that market also like their phones before?

Apple is a bully company who is afraid of android. With good reason. 50%+ of apple saled are ipad and iphone. And with android taking that market, their going to end up right back where micrisoft put them, before the iphone.

And like crate stated, they are taking from android and saying its new and innovated. All lies. They are behind, and with their attitude they always will be.

And bk if ya don't like the look......theme it lol
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 am

Wow, TheTieler... You really hit the nail on the head on every point.
My battery life is amazing on my Xperia Play. I spent a plane ride from Austin, TX, to Dallas, TX, to LA, CA, and only used 7% of battery. I was using emulators the entire time. Speaking of emulators, these emulators are allowed on the Android Market. :) I didn't have to hack my Xperia Play to get N64, SNES, NES, GBA, etc., games on my phone. In fact, I never have to hack my phone to do anything with it. I had to hack my iPhone to do anything productive or cool on it. (Multi-tasking, video capture, theming, etc.) That's all built-in to my Android phone.

I'd like to hear of some features that the iPhone has that Android doesn't already support.
And this includes iOS 5 features. None of the new features are really new. I have yet to see anything 'new' to phones. Maybe new to the iPhone... Maybe new to iPhone users who haven't hacked their phones.... but not new to me.
<<

monkeymaximus

Brewery Owner
Brewery Owner

Thanks given: 50 times

Thanks received: 40 times

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 am

First I think everyone has interesting points of view and good logic backing it up.

I think the apple store currently kills androids. However Apple being the greedy bastards they are will drive developers to android. So I don't expect this to last for long. As a developer I can say I'm not a big fan of dealing with Apple.

Apple innovation I agree is a lot of you like what we tell you to like. I also do think they ripoff android and other products. However their implementation usually kicks everyone elses donkey. They are VERY VERY good at polishing.

That said I have an iPhone. Its a good device if I ignore the fact none have lasted a year for me... but thats ok because I usually get a new refurbished one within the 1 year warranty :)

The only thing said I actually disagree with is that adults spend all/most the money. Teens and young adults have a very large disposable income. Also the older you get the less they spend online. The younger they get the more they spend online.

BTW - anyone that says apples are more stable and sturdier than PCs is wrong imho. I have had 3 macs through work and every single one has had some kind of hardware failure. In fact under heavy use my MBP (and previously MBA) crashes more often than any of my PCs. But to be fair I still like them which is why i use them ;)
[img]https://brewology.com/images/mm/monkeymaximus.jpg[/img]
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8907/monkeymaximus2ph.jpg
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 am

Crait... as I said before I can only speak about having a jailbroken iPhone. I've never had the vanilla iOS experience, nor would I ever WANT to (although I'll have no choice in the beginning with the iPhone 5).

What I can say, is there are a large number of Android devices with poor battery life, especially the newer ones. Part of the reason is because OEMs keep trying to pack their devices full of great hardware, but since Android isn't an exclusive platform not all drivers are fully optimized and resources aren't used as efficiently as the iPhone. You may get decent battery life yourself, I'm just talking from my own observations and what I've read.

Yes, Android has a bigger market share... but how many Android devices are there? How many completely sh*t Android devices are there? There's 4 iPhones... If Apple wanted to play the numbers game they could easily start throwing their OS onto other phones. But the fact that Apple keeps such tight control over iOS makes the phones more solid and keeps a consistent user experience across different iOS devices.

And I wasn't saying that people that theme their phones are childish... I'm just saying, from my experience, adults that I know don't theme their phones and don't care about themes. Wallpaper, yeah sure. But themes, not concerned. (Then again, most adults I know don't spend time on internet game forums either).

While younger people do have a bit of change in their pocket... they can't sign phone contracts. In the mobile market it's still an adult's game.

Personally, and as monkey said, I think iOS devices are just a more polished product. The UI is easier to use, and is more solid than Android. I've owned 2 iPhones, and had my hands on over 10 Android devices, probably close to 20 if you include tablets, and I just don't have the desire to own an Android device over an iOS device.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

monkeymaximus

Brewery Owner
Brewery Owner

Thanks given: 50 times

Thanks received: 40 times

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:46 am

One thing we (atleast i didn't see it) fail to mention is that Google just bought Motorola. The seamless hardware / software relationship might be coming to Android very soon.

Something interesting to think about is... if Motorola and Google are well integrated other android hardware manufacturers will use Moto chips (or whatever GoogMoto is using) in order to get those optimizations. So GoogMoto will potentially make more money...
[img]https://brewology.com/images/mm/monkeymaximus.jpg[/img]
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8907/monkeymaximus2ph.jpg
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:24 am

I'll be the oddball and say I'll take my WP7 over an iPhone or Android phone any day. ;)
If I had to pick between iPhone or Android though my decision would be based off just my hate for Apple, so that could be a little unfair as to which phone would actually better suit my needs.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:35 pm

monkeymaximus wrote:One thing we (atleast i didn't see it) fail to mention is that Google just bought Motorola. The seamless hardware / software relationship might be coming to Android very soon.

Something interesting to think about is... if Motorola and Google are well integrated other android hardware manufacturers will use Moto chips (or whatever GoogMoto is using) in order to get those optimizations. So GoogMoto will potentially make more money...

I doubt they would do this. I think the buy was based off Patents more than anything. HTC Droids>Moto Droids. More to the point, Moto has never made a Nexus. HTC and Samsung have.

Apples a bully with Patents so now Google has a few up their sleeves.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm

To be unbias as possible... as a developer.... both platforms suck... :-/ There. I said it.
You want to develop for Android? Use Java.
You want to develop for iOS? Use Objective-C.

Both the worst programming languages out there, in my opinion.
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:24 am

Didnt try to turn this into a debate, I am not going to really argue about it much more, Its all a matter of personal preference now.

One point I have to point out tho is that The "Apple has the control over the Hardware means better optimization" is BS, it is optimized I do not doubt that, But if we all follow that same logic, we would never buy a PC again. Since PC has so many 3rd party manufactures Windows is not optimized for each device. Yet PC still outsells Mac.

Thing is, that Apple is a "STATUS" symbol are really nothing else. Has the Bigger market because it had a couple years on android, More recognized because the same reason. Apple has COMPLETE control over the phone, which may make iOS optimized, but at what cost to the end user? If you Do not Jailbreak the phone Apple tells [url]you[/url] what you can and cannot do, they tell you what features are needed, not the other way around.

Android On the other hand Is not a status symbol, market is growing with devs each and every day, is becoming more recognized. Google is not in Complete Control (but has the Nexus where GOOGLE over see's that particular phone) so in returned it is not optimized as much and iOS but the end result is great. users can Just about do whatever they want to their phone to make it personal, make it theirs and fit who they are. You the Customer has the Control over the phone not the Major Developer.

And here is the results of the ways android is compared to apple. It is un-arguable. Android is taking Apples cash cow away. Sorry but its fact, to argue others wise when fact is presented it plain ignorant.

http://www.millennialmedia.com/2011/08/ ... ix-report/

Apple = the average phone user not really caring obout an open experiance
Android = a phone user who want control over the product they spend their hard earned money on.

BKFraiders7 wrote:
monkeymaximus wrote:One thing we (atleast i didn't see it) fail to mention is that Google just bought Motorola. The seamless hardware / software relationship might be coming to Android very soon.

I doubt they would do this. I think the buy was based off Patents more than anything. HTC Droids>Moto Droids. More to the point, Moto has never made a Nexus. HTC and Samsung have.

Apples a bully with Patents so now Google has a few up their sleeves.

Moto may have never developed a Nexus device but is most likely o now after the acquisition. Android will not be Moto only since the acquisition also. But We may see more optimization on moto. Yes, Google did buy them for patent reasons also, since there is a patent war goin on against android for the Reason (picture) stated above.

Edit oh and apple just patented the ability to tap a thumbnail, see a larger view of it, then swipe horizontally to see the next picture. And won in the netherlands.... EU is Apple fansboys.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Tyler...

You don't want to debate... yet you are. You need to take my statements at face value and stop implying things that aren't there.

Apple's complete control over the hardware running iOS ends up in better optimization. Period. I'm not saying that it's a perfect system. But from the viewpoint of optimization it doesn't get any better than that. iOS devices are criticized all the time for using older technologies, but because they're used smartly, it's usually never an issue. This is in contrast to Android devices that pack in more powerful hardware with little gains over iOS devices when it comes to user experience. Sure it may pull in some impressive stats, but if you look at OS navigation, gaming visuals, app performance, etc, you'll find that the iPhone 4 will pretty much be equal or better than Android competitors. I'm not implying anything in the PC market with this. I'm not saying that I prefer Apple's completely locked down system. It is what it is.

And I never said that Android wasn't beating iOS in market share. iOS will probably NEVER beat Android or any other competitor if they open their OS to all OEMs. The fact is, iOS has the best market share/device ratio. According to your chart, they're at 21% with only FOUR devices! And think of how many Android devices there are. There are many prepaid phones with Android builds. Many low-end custom Android builds. And then the higher end, best of the best Android builds. Apple hasn't whored out their OS.

As far as open/closed systems... this really only matters to power users. Not that I'm happy with Apple's censorship of the Appstore, but in the grand scheme of things most people don't care. Same goes for Android. You think a lot of these people choose Android because it's open? Hell no... they may choose Android over Apple for a specific reason, but I highly, highly doubt that if you polled typical consumers that they're consciously choosing Android because it's open.

This whole thing started because I said I prefer my jailbroken iPhone over Android. My iPhone 4 does everything I want it to, and more. Some things better than Android. And I know it's not the vanilla iOS experience. I said that up front as well. This was never meant to be an iOS vs Android debate. You had your Android fanboy comment, and all I did was come in and say my JAILBROKEN iPhone is better than the many, many Android devices I've played with, and commented that it's not overpriced because it's the same exact price as every other new device. And I'm well in position to make a statement like that because I can pretty much guarantee I've had my hands on more Android phones than you have, or anyone else on the brew. I've seen the older, current, and new Android experience across different OEMs. There's definitely been a few devices I liked, but still would not trade my iPhone in for them because they simply couldn't do some things as well and my jailbroken iPhone 4.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:11 pm

gotta love how this is all related to the topic... :P
-Formerly DCM
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:50 pm

you said
You don't want to debate... yet you are. You need to take my statements at face value and stop implying things that aren't there.

I said
Didnt try to turn this into a debate, I am not going to really argue about it much more, Its all a matter of personal preference now.

You Said
Apple's complete control over the hardware running iOS ends up in better optimization. Period. I'm not saying that it's a perfect system. But from the viewpoint of optimization it doesn't get any better than that.

I said
One point I have to point out tho is that The "Apple has the control over the Hardware means better optimization" is BS, it is optimized I do not doubt that

You Said
I'm not implying anything in the PC market with this.

I said
But if we all follow that same logic, we would never buy a PC again. Since PC has so many 3rd party manufactures Windows is not optimized for each device. Yet PC still outsells Mac.

That Quote was an Example...

So more on the Off-topic / On -topic debate.

Your Quote word for Word.
According to your chart, they're at 21% with only FOUR devices! And think of how many Android devices there are. There are many prepaid phones with Android builds. Many low-end custom Android builds. And then the higher end, best of the best Android builds. Apple hasn't whored out their OS

This is a Statistic of the OS involved not the hardware its run on. So that Point you made has no ground really.

I think its rude that I am called a Fan boy and that all you said was you like your iphone 4... not true. you actually said
I've tested many new and upcoming Android phones working at T-Mobile, and jailbroken iOS is better than Android. I don't know what the vanilla iOS experience is like because I've never had it, but there really isn't anything an Android phone can do that my jailbroken iPhone 4 can't.

I took that and listed what android can do that a JAILBROKEN iPhone cant do.

Then you jumped back in and said what your Jailbroken iPhone can do.

Never once did I ever call you an apple/iPhone fanboy. But you felt the need to do so with me...
I am no fanboy infact there is one thing your Vanilla iOS can do (stock) that my android cant. Group Messaging.

And this was about what to expect about iPhone5 (vanilla) I stated my thoughts and thats all. You felt the need to say your JAILBROKEN iPohne can do all my android can. And IMHO the phone is over priced for what little iOS5 offers....

thank you. =)
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 pm

TheTyler0013 wrote:Your Quote word for Word.
According to your chart, they're at 21% with only FOUR devices! And think of how many Android devices there are. There are many prepaid phones with Android builds. Many low-end custom Android builds. And then the higher end, best of the best Android builds. Apple hasn't whored out their OS

This is a Statistic of the OS involved not the hardware its run on. So that Point you made has no ground really.

It very much has ground... All things being equal, and granted I'm making a lot of assumptions with these figures, but assuming there are an equal number of each iPhone out there, that means that each phone, each individual device, has 5.25% market share. Now lets say there are only 20 Android devices (which there are many more than that) you're looking at just over 3% per device. If you go with 30 Android devices, that's just over 2% per device. A more realistic figure would probably be in the 40 - 50 range given all 4 carriers have their own Android devices. You're now looking at 1.22% per device.

The fact that Apple has 21% with only 4 devices is something to applaud.
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:44 am

Re: Re: Your iPhone 5 expectations :

brentbizzle wrote:
TheTyler0013 wrote:Your Quote word for Word.

It very much has ground... All things being equal, and granted I'm making a lot of assumptions with these figures, but assuming there are an equal number of each iPhone out there, that means that each phone, each individual device, has 5.25% market share. Now lets say there are only 20 Android devices (which there are many more than that) you're looking at just over 3% per device. If you go with 30 Android devices, that's just over 2% per device. A more realistic figure would probably be in the 40 - 50 range given all 4 carriers have their own Android devices. You're now looking at 1.22% per device.

The fact that Apple has 21% with only 4 devices is something to applaud.

Again I think you failed to see what I said. The chart shows iOS vs Android vs Windows Phone vs RIM. NOT iPhone devices vs Android devices vs Windows mobile devices vs RIM devices. JUST the OS these phones use. So I stick by my statement.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat