<<

Skelator03

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 2 times

Thanks received: 19 times

Post Mon May 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Does Piracy Hinder Consoles ?

Apart from the Dreamcast which piracy really did a number on that console, does piracy destroy a console or help it.

If you look at the big consoles of the last 10 years or so, im talking GBA, Xbox, PSone and PS2 all of them had modchips and flash carts etc and they dominated over the consoles that didnt at that time.

Yes piracy kills software sales and we do not condone it in anyway at all but for hardware sales does it actually help sales.

Good discussion and stay on topic i am curious to see what others have to say
<<

Mailas

Post Mon May 15, 2006 4:05 pm

Piracy does not do anything to a console I dont really see how because you arejust getting it off a website or torrent.
Unless it has contact with the company which is almost impossible then no, it doesnt affect your console.
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon May 15, 2006 4:15 pm

It affects console sales, absoultely. The Xbox market will stay strong for a long time for the sole reason that it is the best homebrew offering to date, remember, the best part about modding is not piracy, but the homebrew.
<<

Skelator03

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 15, 2006 4:17 pm

The question meant to you think it affects what you buy and the sales and everything not does it affect the hardware
<<

psicryptor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:06 pm

frankly, there is absolutely no effect cos theres a lot of ppl out there with money but no knowlegde or time to mod/hack/dload pirated stuff. Sales figures for consoles and their games prove my point. Also, the economics of gaming consoles actuially revolves around games sold. Games are sold in many times multiple quaNTITES of consoles thereby allowing for profits. No matter how much piracy exists, consoles will always end up making their money. Piracy also partly regulates the pricing policies for console games - PSP games are $50 a game cos they cant be pirated (yeah there actually are ppl with fw greater than 1.5). This is forcing gamers into ugly compromises. If piracy were rampant games would cost a reasonable amount and sales would increase, matching sales of today (maybe just a lil greater than now) cos althought cheaper games will draw more customers, pirated games will kill a part of the market. Overall, bulk economics will result in massive console sales and better game sales than now. Profits will be bigger but if you wanna perfect legal game sales and 100% profits, mark my words, that platform will fail for the above reasons.
"A dangerous deed, indeed, to contend with the man who sold the world!"
<<

L_T

Young Brewer

Post Mon May 15, 2006 10:48 pm

hey look at me ... i bought a psp for the sole reason you can hack it ... yet i still had to fork out the couple of hundred bills .

and its 2.5 ... :evil:
<<

Skelator03

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 15, 2006 11:45 pm

you bring up good points keep on with the discussion
<<

psicryptor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue May 16, 2006 9:17 am

I do realize that "hacking" a console is bad but evidence has, time and again, proven otherwise. all consoles out there are doing well (very well infact) and the populariity can be attributed to recognition which is partly hyped by the "hack" factor. Being able to play pirated games does not seal a console's fate. If one wanted to actually play pirated games, he/she would do it no matter what. Whereas if someone were to buy games then he would buy them no matter what (there is flaunt factor and a psychological reassurance of possession with purchase). Piracy and Originality are two sides of the same coin. The industry could, to some extent, influence this practice of piracy by pricing games competitively. (I feel paying double the price for a game for half the fun is not justified - PS2 games v/s PSP games)
"A dangerous deed, indeed, to contend with the man who sold the world!"
<<

alimobeer

Mega Brewer
Mega Brewer

Post Tue May 16, 2006 10:31 am

Dream cast was deece... But it didn't sell well. Some of those titles were really addictive. They should make another one because only bad donkey game companies released for it.

psp man is a b**ch who can't hack. Lets see him hack this school computers if he thinks he so great.

If you say you an do some thin do it, don't be fake like some people around here.

Return to General Chat