<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri May 11, 2007 9:48 pm

linux os

anyone know where i can get a copy of the freeware linux operating system? im interested in dual booting and this is the OS i want to try out
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sat May 12, 2007 12:07 pm

heh i have googled it. there are just so many types. i want the one most people use.
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sat May 12, 2007 1:23 pm

eh... except that one isnt freeware
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat May 12, 2007 8:07 pm

I dual boot between XP and Kubuntu. The version are called Distro's just to let you know. I think the best distro is Ubuntu, Kubuntu is just ubuntu but instead uses the KDE desktop instead of the Gnome desktop. Kubuntu also has a better GUI and more like windows then the Gnome desktop is. Just go to http://www.ubuntu.com (sorry if linking to other sites is against the rules here, I will remove it if it is) and download the newest iso, burn it to a disc, and restart your computer with the disc in. But be careful if your going to dual boot with one hd because if you do then you will need to defrag the hd that way all the data is on the inside part of the disc's in the hd and then you will need to create a new partition (all you need to do is use windows for the defrag and then the wizard in ubuntu will guide you trough the rest). Its real easy so just ask me fi you need any help.
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sun May 13, 2007 7:04 pm

hey thanks ace ill try this this out. i cant wait to learn. and i have a 40 gig and a 300 gig in here so i think ill be ok
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sun May 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Would you suggest kubuntu over windows xp? I'm interested in Linux to be honest, but I don't know much about it. I know a TON about computers just not much about Linux. I'd be interested in any articles you guys could show me.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

PSP_man

Mega Brewer
Mega Brewer

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Mon May 14, 2007 4:19 am

Yeah, i really wanted to try Linux.
But where ever i go, the sites are just
gay, and never let me download it.

But thanks for the link, i'll check it out.
A recent study shows that 98% of all
teenagers smoke pot, or have tried pot.
If you are one of the 79% of those who
don't give a sh*t, post this in your signature.

Save Sony, Buy A PS3!
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 am

Me? Well it depends, if you play a lot of computer games (from the stores and stuff, not like flash games) then go with XP. But if you don't need pc games then definitely go with Kubuntu, I mean heck I have it on a 3gb hd and that is even enough space with some extra. Barely takes any space at all! That and it's faster, more reliable, no (well, less) virus's, adware, and spyware so no need for any antivirus programs that slow down your computer. Its definitly better performance wise. That and it comes on a livecd which means when you put the cd in and restart your computer then kubuntu will run of your ram until you either take the disc out and restart or, install it on a hd. O and in my opinion light_alistor using 2 hd's to dual boot is way better then using 1. Then you won't have to worrying about deleting important files! Theres plenty of sites that have a lot of free distro's, the only ones that cost money are like Redhat or Suse. Ill look for a couple links.
But if you don't care about video games, or if you want to dual boot between XP and unbutu/kubuntu then yea, definitly go for it. I love it. I think one of the best parts is Linux doesn't take up as much resources, which means if you have a lower end computer then Ubuntu can still run great.

Here is one site: http://distrowatch.com/
Has a good amount of info and keeps track of hits that a certain distro gets on the right hand side. As you can see, Ubuntu is in 1st ^_^ . You guys can even try Ubuntu Studio which just came out, and is aimed more for graphic and audio enthusiasts. I also recommend PCLinuxOS to beginners too.

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
^^ That one is a "test" you can take to see what distro is right for you. Also provides helpful information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _and_Linux
wikipedia :)

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question246.htm
howstuffworks :) rather basic information but always useful to some people. I even found out what kind of liquid they use in Spirit Level's on there!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 1:31 pm

would Ubuntu Studio be able to run newer pc games as well as XP?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Well it will run newer games made for Linux, but most newer pc games (like Halo 2) are being made for Vista. You can't use windows executables(.exe's) in Linux though. Thats really the only reason I still keep Xp around is to play any games made for Windows(which is like the only os they make good retail video games other then like 1/3 is made for Mac)/
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Well it seems that I will be using XP then - but I may dual-boot between XP64 and Ubuntu in the future.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Makes me wish linux was more popular sometimes. But since I only play a few games a lot, I can definitely make do. However I believe 'one' of the best parts of ubuntu is the 3d cube effects used when switching desktops :) That rules.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:20 pm

^ you can actually do that with Windows Vista. I'm not sure about XP but I first heard of that on Vista.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Yea but it came out on Linux first ;) (I think, don't count on me though). Hah I almost forgot about Wine....its a windows emulator for Linux. It can run alot of windows programs however it is a emulator so you can't expect it to run a game like Oblivion perfect or anything. I'm glad I remembered that.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:27 pm

Well the goal of my new computer is to be able to run Oblivion at 60 fps with all of the pretty bells and whistles (that's the reason I question my operating system).

In all honesty though, it seems like I may be pirating a copy of Windows XP 64-bit because I would feel like an idiot if I payed over $10 for a disc... let alone over $100 and beyond.

-DarkPacMan77-
Next

Return to General Chat