<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:23 am

500gb drive... poof... gone

Well... I had my 500gb external hooked up to my laptop while i was downloading some stuff. The drive was sitting on a big ottoman we have in our living room. My mom put her foot up on it, and the drive slid off and fell. Immediately it starts making a clicking sound... whirs up, clicks... Computer recognizes a drive is connected but nothing pops up. Can't access the drive.

From everything I've read it is a problem that requires opening the drive up, and it wouldn't be worth the cost to have the drive repaired or data recovered. Sending it in to the company would probably be a waste because even if they honor the warranty, which they probably won't, they would just send a new drive and my data is still gone. That would also take up too much time, which I don't have since I leave for Japan on Thursday.

Luckily there aren't any irreplaceable things like pictures on it, but it was close to being filled with movies and TV shows I've been collecting. Mainly collecting to watch while I'm in Japan.

F * * K
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 am

Wow... that r-e-a-l-l-y sucks man. I recently bought an external 150gb from a friend and I must say, I'd be pissed if something like that happened to this one (that's hardly half full). Anyways, you could always mail it to me ;). I'm sure I could find a use for it.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Man I would be so uber piss if that was my great collection of BangBros and Milf Hunter.
<<

kellytna123

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:13 pm

that sucks. hope u get it replaced.

PSP AND HEAVY METAL FOR LIFE/ if u need help with 3.5 downgrade ask me./ECW/TNA/WWE
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:37 pm

Well, the drive is still a no go, but I went out and got a replacement 500gb SATA drive to put in the external case. Since I had to get something TODAY (leaving the country tomorrow) I had to hit local stores. It was $99 before tax at Best Buy. RIP my data, but at least I can rebuild.
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:39 pm

Sucks Bad. Well some ex. harddrives can be hooked up to your computer and has access to the web and uploads all of your stuff to a private server so if you ever lost anything you can replace it.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm totally thinking about puttin all my stuff up on a server. For instance, it sure would suck for my hd to kill over and die right now seeing as I have a lot of pictures of me and my friends on it, along with some precious data such as my xbox's unmodded harddrive and some mdos I've made for halo pc and such. Anyways, goodluck with rebuilding. Have fun in Japan too.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:34 pm

or heck, better off buying a usb drive and making a back up of your stuff on there lol.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 pm

All my important stuff stays on my computer AND on an external... the drive I lost just had all my ripped movies and TV shows. Disposable stuff, but it's taken me a while to collect all that stuff so it is frustrating. I have to change my newshosting service to get something with more retention to get those older files.

Problem with servers is that you have to pay monthly, where as with an external you pay once and you can use it to your liking. External storage will only get cheaper... I can see traditional drive prices plummeting in the near future as new flash technology is being expanded.

I have the new drive but I'm not messing with it until I get to Japan. Too much of a hassle to deal with it all the night before I leave. I can download stuff there...

Return to General Chat