Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Browsing system files & other goodies (im new)

<<

wannabprogramma

Brewer
Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Browsing system files & other goodies (im new)

Hey guys, I'm wannab from over at modmyi.com. First, may I say how lucky I feel to have found a psp homebrew site that's still running and has forums still open. I theme jailbroken iPhones, and I am working on a PSP theme. Though there are a couple others out there, this one will be more complete than any before. I have a psp slim, running version 6.10 (i hear that this may be bad???) and I am in the process of making a Pandora battery, but before I do any of this I need to know if I can even get homebrew on my psp, and if I can do what I want with it after I get it. I want to be able to "browse" the system files of the psp (on iphones we call it ssh) so that I can find the images, and maybe even some programs that I could incorporate into my theme. Is this possible? (by images, I mean the keyboards, icons, etc.) Also, the system sounds would be helpful. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I've looked for a day now. Also, sorry if I posted in the wrong section mods. Thanks again for any replies :)
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 am

Re: Browsing system files & other goodies (im new)

wannabprogramma wrote:Hey guys, I'm wannab from over at modmyi.com. First, may I say how lucky I feel to have found a psp homebrew site that's still running and has forums still open. I theme jailbroken iPhones, and I am working on a PSP theme. Though there are a couple others out there, this one will be more complete than any before. I have a psp slim, running version 6.10 (i hear that this may be bad???) and I am in the process of making a Pandora battery, but before I do any of this I need to know if I can even get homebrew on my psp, and if I can do what I want with it after I get it. I want to be able to "browse" the system files of the psp (on iphones we call it ssh) so that I can find the images, and maybe even some programs that I could incorporate into my theme. Is this possible? (by images, I mean the keyboards, icons, etc.) Also, the system sounds would be helpful. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I've looked for a day now. Also, sorry if I posted in the wrong section mods. Thanks again for any replies :)

Yo MAN!! Welcome to the brew!!
-Formerly DCM
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 am

Hey welcome to the site.

Once you hack the PSP, you can view the system files.
I'm not sure if FW 6.10 is a problem, but there may be other things in the way. We have several tutorials about the pandora's battery and downgrading in the tutorial section that may be able to help you out.
<<

wannabprogramma

Brewer
Brewer

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks but one thing I'm wondering is if I downgrade, what is the best firmware to be on if my objective is just to gain root access, and view system files? Thanks for helping out such a newb haha and I'm checking out those tutorials right now.....
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Id say a nice stable release a lot of us still love and use is dark alexes old 5.00m33

it hasnt benn update in a long time, but hes busy, so i dont blame him. its easy, simple, and lots of stuff for it. super easy install, too.

i havent tried a hen or gen or whatever theyre called, but installing seems retarded and it isnt worth it too me. plus, maybe you can help us get a new m33, if DA will let you.

what do u code in? and how experienced are you? i believe we have lots of range of programmers.

im a basic HTML coder. little EXE's, so im no help but advice here. and good to see you! i hope you like us here and join in the communitee "fun" we have!!!
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

wannabprogramma

Brewer
Brewer

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Sadly, my name is "wannab"programma for a reason....I'm trying to learn Objective-C so I can write my own iPhone apps. Until I learn, I've taken up theming....so I'm probably less helpful than you :( however...if you know HTML you could help me a little :) I've never had the inclination to learn how to use HTML, but I just found out than you can code widgets for the iPhone using it and I'd like to make the PSP's volume button, brightness button, and music button really work on the lockscreen using widgets, but idk how :( If you have any advice on where to start learning please tell me!!!!!

I'll probably end up using that firmware.....I guess since I have the slim and no other psp running cfw I'll use a Pandora Battery and a magic memory stick. But once I get it on cfw, how do I obtain root access and browse the system files? What programs do I use? Thanks, and sorry I probably can't help ya'll with the firmware......maybe once I learn objective-c, and write a couple apps I'll give it a go.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:48 pm

im a rookie. like a real noob to coding, but i can tell you lots about PSP's and PC OS's.

after you go m33 then you will hold R to open your recovery and youll be able to make your flash:/0 and all the others usb accessable.

so like say u want to do the whole "fake the firmware trick" (also in this section a believe) youd opent eh recovery menu by holding R on start up till u get to a black menu. youd go to "advanced" and then toggle usb (flash 0 - 1) and if u have a usb cable in, it brings it up on your PC
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey! I love ModMyi!
:D
I get a lot of stuff off of there.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 am

right now a great CFW is 5.50 gen-d .... if u play games more than use homebrew (which i guess u dont cause u dont have CFW) then gen-d is right for u... 5.50 gen-d doesnt need to be updated to play newer games, it will automatically patch them in a fraction of a sec for u.... but in 5.00 m33 u will have to manually patch the new games...
-Formerly DCM
<<

wannabprogramma

Brewer
Brewer

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:21 pm

im a rookie. like a real noob to coding, but i can tell you lots about PSP's and PC OS's.

after you go m33 then you will hold R to open your recovery and youll be able to make your flash:/0 and all the others usb accessable.

so like say u want to do the whole "fake the firmware trick" (also in this section a believe) youd opent eh recovery menu by holding R on start up till u get to a black menu. youd go to "advanced" and then toggle usb (flash 0 - 1) and if u have a usb cable in, it brings it up on your PC

Alright so I think I see what your saying...I get it on this 5.00m33 and after I get it running the CFW, if I hold down the r while booting , go to advanced and change flash from 0 to 1. Do I understand correctly? But then you say it will open it up on my pc....but I have a mac. Will it still work?

Hey! I love ModMyi!

ME TOO! haha

right now a great CFW is 5.50 gen-d .... if u play games more than use homebrew (which i guess u dont cause u dont have CFW) then gen-d is right for u... 5.50 gen-d doesnt need to be updated to play newer games, it will automatically patch them in a fraction of a sec for u.... but in 5.00 m33 u will have to manually patch the new games...

well i don't mind having to manually patch the games because I'm not going to be getting any new games other than the ones I have and they're pretty old- which one is easier to install and better/easier to gain root access and browse the system files?

Thanks for all the replies :) Ya'll are a huge help
[/quote]
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 pm

you got all but the last part right.

you would have a USB cable pluged in, and click on "activate usb flash 0" and it will show up on your screen.

and yeah itll work on a mac "shudders" itll seem like any old usb device. from there, go to town.

EDIT: you dont have to do just flash zero, but you can surf. back all of it up, because if u erase anything, you bricked your psp (use the pandora and your in business again) but doing back up then replacing again if u brick saves u from entering code for wifi and all that stuff all over again
<<

wannabprogramma

Brewer
Brewer

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:29 pm

Alright thanks a bunch airplanes...I'll try it soon and post my results...I'll be making a pandora tomorrow hopefully :)
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

I used to know a TON about this type of stuff, that is, modifying the firmware files. It's not too hard in all honesty. The hardest parts would be modifying the sound files like the "tick" when you move around in the menu or making a customized "wave" background for the PSP using HEX Editing - something I got into but stopped because there was already an abundance of customized ones that fit the themes that I was making.

In fact, Sony came out with an official tool for creating your own themes... maybe look around for it. You can have access to change the icon.pmf files (that's not the EXACT NAME) so that you can change the look/ feel or use someone else's pre-made theme.

I once wrote a tutorial about this kind of stuff when I was rather new to this site and before firmware 3.00 was ever even released. A lot of the files are essentially "the same" from the older firmwares to the newer ones but if you want to get started to get an idea of some of the little things you can tinker with, check out this really out-dated tutorial I made.

http://psp.brewology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6797

That tutorial specifically teaches how to clear some space in the flash0 because back then, people were flashing their custom files to the PSP and most people that "ruined" their PSPs simply overrode files that were either needed or replaced them with files that were too large and couldn't fit into the memory - thus making the PSP "brick". Now, you can use programs that utilize the memory on the memory stick that you're using instead of the flash on the PSP so that it can't brick and pretty much has "infinite" space for modifying, held back only by the memory card size you're using.

Welcome to the Brewology - we like your kind around here ;)

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:03 pm

DarkPacMan77 wrote:I once wrote a tutorial about this kind of stuff when I was rather new to this site and before firmware 3.00 was ever even released. A lot of the files are essentially "the same" from the older firmwares to the newer ones but if you want to get started to get an idea of some of the little things you can tinker with, check out this really out-dated tutorial I made.

That tutorial specifically teaches how to clear some space in the flash0 because back then, people were flashing their custom files to the PSP and most people that "ruined" their PSPs simply overrode files that were either needed or replaced them with files that were too large and couldn't fit into the memory - thus making the PSP "brick". Now, you can use programs that utilize the memory on the memory stick that you're using instead of the flash on the PSP so that it can't brick and pretty much has "infinite" space for modifying, held back only by the memory card size you're using.

Welcome to the Brewology - we like your kind around here ;)

-DarkPacMan77-

SHOW OFF! :wink:
-Formerly DCM
<<

wannabprogramma

Brewer
Brewer

Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:24 pm

JUST FINISHED MY PANDORA BATTERY!!!
I used to know a TON about this type of stuff, that is, modifying the firmware files. It's not too hard in all honesty. The hardest parts would be modifying the sound files like the "tick" when you move around in the menu or making a customized "wave" background for the PSP using HEX Editing - something I got into but stopped because there was already an abundance of customized ones that fit the themes that I was making.

In fact, Sony came out with an official tool for creating your own themes... maybe look around for it. You can have access to change the icon.pmf files (that's not the EXACT NAME) so that you can change the look/ feel or use someone else's pre-made theme.

I once wrote a tutorial about this kind of stuff when I was rather new to this site and before firmware 3.00 was ever even released. A lot of the files are essentially "the same" from the older firmwares to the newer ones but if you want to get started to get an idea of some of the little things you can tinker with, check out this really out-dated tutorial I made.

Welcome to the Brewology - we like your kind around here

Thanks a bunch for the input...but I think either you or I misunderstood something....I'm not trying to make a psp theme...I'm trying to make an iPhone theme that looks like the psp....so I'm not changing images on the psp I'm just downloading them to put into an iphone theme...what you said about the sounds is the same thing...all I need is to be able to download the sound and I know how to put it into an iPhone theme so that the iPhone sounds like the psp....I'll definately check out that tutorial though...also does anyone know where I would find the keyboard images once I am browsing the files? Thanks!
Next

Return to PSP Hacks & Homebrew