<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:38 am

Re: Your iPhone 5 expectations :

Tyler... wtf does the OS run on? DEVICES. The OS doesn't exists without a device and vise versa...
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 am

brentbizzle wrote:Tyler... wtf does the OS run on? DEVICES. The OS doesn't exists without a device and vise versa...

I thought that it did. :? Can't you have a disc with Windows OS on it without the OS running? You can install it on multiple devices. The iOS operating system is run on iPhones, iPods, iPads, Apple TV, etc. I don't get what this was a response to. Can you quote Tyler's post that you're responding to. :|
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

crait wrote:
brentbizzle wrote:Tyler... wtf does the OS run on? DEVICES. The OS doesn't exists without a device and vise versa...

I thought that it did. :? Can't you have a disc with Windows OS on it without the OS running? You can install it on multiple devices. The iOS operating system is run on iPhones, iPods, iPads, Apple TV, etc. I don't get what this was a response to. Can you quote Tyler's post that you're responding to. :|

Yes, physically, the two can exist seperately. Theoretically, one can't be used without the other.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Wow I am stating What the Stat picture clearly points out. No need to tangle your panties.

But let me amuse you anyway. iOS is NOT ON ONLY 4 DEVICEs =D

Apple has 4 iPhones (a CDMA and GSM versions), 4 iPod Touches, 2 Ipads and 2 versions of apple t.v (and many different storage sizes that technically count as a device) thats a lot more than 4 Devices brent.

Take a look at the link to show the actual Devices that are running iOS many more than your Stated 4..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices

And iOS is optimized across all those devices yet still is only 21% ??? So apparently Optimization inst as cut out as you make it.

BKFraiders7 wrote:
crait wrote:

Yes, physically, the two can exist seperately. Theoretically, one can't be used without the other.

True but google's SDK lets you run iOS on an emulator on your PC/Mac/Linux for development.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Google's SDK let's you run iOS on an emulator? You mean Apple will let you on Mac OSX with Intel processors only.
Android can be put on any modern and some older PC's.
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Re: Your iPhone 5 expectations :

crait wrote:Google's SDK let's you run iOS on an emulator? You mean Apple will let you on Mac OSX with Intel processors only.
Android can be put on any modern and some older PC's.

No that's not what I meant, it was a typo. Supposed to be its OS, as in android OS.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Your chart is clearly labeled smartphone OS... in fact if I'm not mistaken, the first pie chart separates smartphones, "connected devices" which are probably things like tablets and iPods, and then feature phones that are your dumb phones... from there, of the smartphone category, there's an OS breakdown.

technically yes, OS's exist without devices... but the chart breaks down the OS's running on smartphones, specifically smartphones.

Just read the caption of your chart... is specifically states that connected devices include iPods. So yes, that 21% chunk is only representative of FOUR devices.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm

<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Here's some very interesting stats from June (keep in mind these are stats only for Q2). This just accentuates my point. Yes, technically Android has more marketshare... but Apple isn't interested in OS market share. What they have is device marketshare dominance.

Let's look at the biggest chunk of the Android pie, HTC. From just their current line up there's 2 phones on T-Mobile, 2 on AT&T, 3 on Sprint, and looks like 2 from Verizon. That's a total of 9 devices, and that's only the CURRENT line up, and the stats below are current subscribers. You can bet there's at least 9 more in the mix from last year's line up. That's potentially 18 devices, probably more, making up HTC's 14%... as opposed to Apple's 4 devices with 28%.

OS marketshare means NOTHING... and that's what you don't get. It's devices that matter. And Apple's shipping them like crazy.

<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Edited post to bottom. Didnt change anything just added more.
Last edited by TheTyler0013 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 pm

crait wrote:From May 11th, 2011.

Source: http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/31/androids- ... en-report/

Thats Q2 Likes Brents Image.

Now Brent you are right I do admit. And of course apple has a huge market share with their iPhone with the iOS because iPone is the only device (smartphone) that runs iOS. Android is AOSP (An Open Source Project) so its on many manufactures. Google will never have that stat because of what is stated.

If Apple is Shipping iPhone like crazy and they are selling like crazy and have nothing to worry about, why in the world are they sueing everyone and their mother, that run the Andorid OS??? Its Because they are scared and know that Android is outselling iPhone.

brentbizzle wrote:Here's some very interesting stats from June (keep in mind these are stats only for Q2). This just accentuates my point. Yes, technically Android has more marketshare... but Apple isn't interested in OS market share. What they have is device marketshare dominance.

Let's look at the biggest chunk of the Android pie, HTC. From just their current line up there's 2 phones on T-Mobile, 2 on AT&T, 3 on Sprint, and looks like 2 from Verizon. That's a total of 9 devices, and that's only the CURRENT line up, and the stats below are current subscribers. You can bet there's at least 9 more in the mix from last year's line up. That's potentially 18 devices, probably more, making up HTC's 14%... as opposed to Apple's 4 devices with 28%.

OS marketshare means NOTHING... and that's what you don't get. It's devices that matter. And Apple's shipping them like crazy.

OS market share means a whole lot because without the OS who wants Android or iPhone. iOS is nothing without iPad, iPhone and iTouch. If One of the many manufactures for Android stops its not the end of Android.

You obviously like iPhone way mre than me and I like Android way more than you.

brentbizzle wrote: all I did was come in and say my JAILBROKEN iPhone is better than the many, many Android devices I've played with, and commented that it's not overpriced because it's the same exact price as every other new device. And I'm well in position to make a statement like that because I can pretty much guarantee I've had my hands on more Android phones than you have, or anyone else on the brew. I've seen the older, current, and new Android experience across different OEMs..

And android devices are not Crap. HTC, Samsung, Moto make great phones, older ones are crap yes, so is the old iPhone devices. I dont care that you work at T-Mobile and play with phones You have no right to say you are able to make a statement like the one quoted about. I have owned 13 Android phones. and played with many more Android Devices. Sum having bad build quality to Amazing build quality.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Sorry to shoot you down, but Apple isn't suing because they're scared. A lot of times the best defense is to have a good offense. And in a competitive market such as cell phones, there's a lot of money to be made off patents alone. Why do you think there are so many patent trolls and companies are gobbling up smaller companies for patents? It's in a company's best interest to go after infringers. Please excuse the image as it's old (oct last year) but it demonstrates my point:

Companies are in constant litigation with each other. A lot of times we just don't hear about it. But recently there's been so much attention brought to the matter that you're hearing about it more. Hell, even at work we had a patent lawyer come in and pretty much say "if you've got something good, talk to us so we can get it patented and hold on to it to protect ourselves or go after someone in the future." I'm working on something at work that may even get patented, just waiting to hear back from the company lawyer. A lot of the low level engineers I work on have at least 1 patent.
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:56 pm

Yes but you have to agree apple is literally going to far by buying patents just so Google can't use them. Now asking for compensation is agreeable but trying be the monopoly is unbelievable.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Brent, I hope you understand that you're completely wrong about market share of operating systems. Windows market share of OS is what?
Check it here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _share.svg
How many hardware computers does Microsoft make? None.

Now, Brent, what you're trying to tell me is that an operating system that is used by less and less people every day is better than what people are switching to just because it has less users? Having more users use Android OS makes it less successful?
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 am

You can't keep comparing the mobile market to the PC market. They're two, completely, different, things. There are much different dynamics, and different things affect the market. The playing field was leveled many moons ago in the PC market, and with PC OS's, you have to pay to play no matter what. So there's definite money to be made with PC OS's. But besides that, the PC user experience is fundamentally the same between popular Linux builds, Windows, and Mac. There are some differences, but a lot of it is the same. The hardware itself doesn't differ that much either, so the user experience can sometimes be completely independent of the hardware (provided performance is up to par).

For Mobile phones, the OS and hardware are so closely tied together for user experience that you can't separate the two. That's why you can have reviews battling for the best Android phone:

http://www.androidauthority.com/the-bes ... 2011-9283/

and a list of the worst Android phones:

http://www.androidtapp.com/androidtapp- ... s-of-2010/

It's all Android. And looking at the best of list, I'm sure they all have the same version of Android (plus whatever OEM customization has been done). But because of this very close relationship between OS and hardware, it makes the mobile market quite unique.

That being said, it brings me back to my original point that market share of mobile OS doesn't matter that much, and I'll clarify by expanding and saying it's an inflated statistic. Of course Android is going to have a large marketshare. It's a decent OS so people like it, and they hand it out to ALL OEMs. Hell, even if Apple and RIM wanted to make and Android phone they'd work with them because they just want people to use it. So if they're giving it out and it's a decent product, it's going to accumulate numbers. But when it comes to the devices themselves, you can't just look at OS statistics. Just because 61% of mobile phones are running Android doesn't mean Android's the best, it just means OEMs are using it. sh*t OSs like webOS and Symbian are falling by the wayside, and naturally Android is going to get picked up because it is a major competitor, and, they're not Apple, so no iOS for them. So for non Apple OEMs without proprietary OSs, Android's the ONLY game in town.

If you really want to measure success, you would look at overall device statistics. One interesting one is here:

http://modmyi.com/content/5136-two-year ... ne-us.html

iPhone 3GS is two years old and is outselling every Android device. All of them. And the 3GS is only on 1 carrier (although can to some extent be used on two). Top spot? iPhone 4... only on two carriers. So you've got the 3GS, a two year old phone outselling any 1 top tier Android device. As soon as an Android phone starts boasting some stats like that, then I'll be impressed. But like I said, 61% OS share, who cares? They'll keep slapping Android on every damn phone that comes by them, flooding the market and that statistic will probably continue to grow... but Apple will keep producing well rounded phones that will keep killing in sales.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat