Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 4 times

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:53 pm

Will you buy a mac now?

http://reviews.cnet.com/4660-3513_7-648 ... oplay=true

Now that the new macs with intel can run Windows XP. I think Mac's will dominate in computer hardware. Seeing how the new macs can run both windows and Mac osx, its pretty clear that apple will be on top. I think i will replace my laptop with an iBook.
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Nope still gonna stay with my old XP
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

Mailas

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:12 pm

I wouldn't even count on ever buying mac. Honestly, even if I can switch between them, its been on Global National News and Tony Parson even said:
"The new Macs on Windows Xp, is it good for you?" althought thats all I can remember, they did a story about it later at like 8:00 in the morning.
But anyways, my point here is that I will just stick to my old Windows XP, no comment.
<<

psicryptor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:15 pm

windows still cos old habits die hard. besides service for apple products in india is like trying the proverbial needle in a haystack!
"A dangerous deed, indeed, to contend with the man who sold the world!"
<<

Necrophiliac

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:32 pm

If youre going to spend the money to buy a mac you are doing so not only for the hardware but also for the OS. Why anyone would spend the money to buy a mac and ruin it by putting xp on it is beyond me. Just buy a $300 PC if you want windows so badly. Plus running windows on a mac still leaves the computer open to all the viruses, trojans, worms, malware, spyware that OS X prevents you from getting. As far as people who want to play games on their macs...buy an xbox, a PS2, a 360, or a gamecube. Games are better played on a TV from a couch. Not on a screen 12" from your face in a damn chair.
<<

nemesis91101

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:34 pm

thats been news for awhile. It air on Call For Help, Kevin rose came on and dual booted a mac with xp
If you want free DUN or any other hacks or questions about and for your cell phone especially the lg8700(thats what i got) from verizon checkout howardforums.com i am there by the same name!
<<

in_da_house

Mega Brewer
Mega Brewer

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:22 am

i wont get a mac just like Necrophiliac said u will still get all the viruses etc so whats the point it ll probley be cheaper to buy a fully modded pc (like wat dykstra did) then buying a mac pc that ll probly be double the price and will be s**ter...
<<

Necrophiliac

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:31 am

in_da_house wrote:i wont get a mac just like Necrophiliac said u will still get all the viruses etc so whats the point it ll probley be cheaper to buy a fully modded pc (like wat dykstra did) then buying a mac pc that ll probly be double the price and will be s**ter...

If you dont install windows you wont have problems with viruses, viruses and such get through holes in windows so its an OS issue not a hardware one

psicryptor wrote:windows still cos old habits die hard. besides service for apple products in india is like trying the proverbial needle in a haystack!

At this point in time Apple's technical support is in the United States. I have called on several occasions, no one had accients and their tech support was the best for any peice of electronic equipment I have owned.
<<

nemesis91101

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:22 pm

still, macs are g@y and will never buy one. Here's something u can do, go to ebgames,
walmart and look on the back of games and other software to see how much of that stuff
is compatible with macs.

macs are icandy
<<

Necrophiliac

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:18 pm

nemesis91101 wrote:still, macs are g@y and will never buy one. Here's something u can do, go to ebgames,
walmart and look on the back of games and other software to see how much of that stuff
is compatible with macs.

macs are icandy

That is quite possibly one of the stupidest comments I have heard on this board (and that includes some of the things Malias has said). How is a computer "g@ay" IF you use a computer primarily to play games on a bug riddled non-secure OS and are on a budget than a PC is for you. If you work in graphics design, science, or mathmatics and require a machine capable of computationally intensive tasks, have the funds, and like the OS and the security it provides than an apple computer would be better suited to your needs. I use both on a daily basis. I own a G4 and a G5 mac as well as a brand new PC laptop (freebee from work). At work I primarily use a PC, but also use a G4 (which runs our real-time PCR sequence detection system) and a G3 that I built from scratch (found an old mobo with some other miscellaneous computer parts on the "surplus table" and put it together). To make such statements about a product you dont use is just ignorant. Macs never were intended to be gaming machines and buying a PC primarily to play games is a lot of money to throw down for what you are using it for.
Last edited by Necrophiliac on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:19 pm

What does a mac have that windows dont got?
<<

nemesis91101

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:23 pm

i also said other software. I learn using comps with windows, i used mac first but with windows, if i could think it, windows could do it.

um where's the right click, yea u gotta go to file>new folder> then move the new folder to where u want
windows: right where u want the new folder> name it what u want.
If you want free DUN or any other hacks or questions about and for your cell phone especially the lg8700(thats what i got) from verizon checkout howardforums.com i am there by the same name!
<<

Surenix

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:52 pm

Dano, you really love your mac I can tell

-if I was a professional GFX person, I'd buy one myself, hehe.
<<

Necrophiliac

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:01 pm

nemesis91101 wrote:i also said other software. I learn using comps with windows, i used mac first but with windows, if i could think it, windows could do it.

um where's the right click, yea u gotta go to file>new folder> then move the new folder to where u want
windows: right where u want the new folder> name it what u want.

the current mouse packaged with macs actually have 4 buttons plus a 360 degree scroll ball, The mouse itself is just one solid piece and is not cut into different sections where the buttons are located (except where you squeeze on the sides but this fourt button isnt used as often. Instead of pushing a tab down you just apply presssure to the correct parts of the mouse. Mac were always compatable with two button mice (well for at least 15 years anyway) but usually came with a one button mouse. To "left click" you would simply control+click instead. The idea was to keep things simple and comfortable and it worked nicely. I have no idea what this folder nonsense you are babbling about is, as someone who uses both windows and OSX I can tell you it is easier to create and name folders on a mac then on a PC, although I have never seen it as much of an issue for either system.

People tend to like what they have and what they are used to. When I first started grad school my office had a G3 and I was like "WTF?" It took a little while to get used to but I wouldnt pay money for a windows based computer again. Part of what makes OSX so stable is that apple makes both the hardware and the OS whereas Microsoft lisences Windows to any computer company that will cough up the lisencing fees. It makes good business sense for MS as they move more software. Although apple doesnt ship as many units doesnt mean I dont wish that I owned a bunch of apple stock because they make tons of money anyway.

The problem with having your OS on any old computer no mater who makes it is that the hardware often isnt optimized for the OS, which is what apple did right. A buggy third party program may occasionally crash but I have never had OSX crash since v.10.1 several years ago and that was a major update from OS9. OSX is a unix based system which is another reason it is so stable. Im quite happy with my G5. 1.5GB RAM, a 20" display with 1680 x 1050 resolution a remote, built in video camera and mic, built in bluetooth, airport extreme and fast enough to analayze any dataset I put in there.

I also like the diferent heirarcial views when browsing folders that OSX offers over that of windows. You can browse folder contents as icons, as a list or in columns (which is most efficient). So there is the stability and reliability factor, the interface, the security (which I never understood why people felt was acceptable to sacrifice with PCs), and ease of use. Like I said before if you want to play video games on your computer buy a PC, but if you want a good solid opperating system that you dont have to worry about viruses with (unless you dual boot xp on it) or crashing or if you do graphic design type work or science where you are crunching numbers than I perfer the Macs.

If there is one thing I hate it is fanboy arguments. Especially when people have only used the product that they are so strongly behind (or used the other a few times). This is no different than video game consoles. I feel that the comment by nemesis "still, macs are g@y and will never buy one." is a perfect example of this. He doesnt own one and probably has never used one. It's like arguments over PS2 vs Xbox vs Gamecube or PSP vs DS. I own all these systems and I honestly cant say that I dont feel that any of them truley suck. Each one has its pros and cons and are better suited for people with different interests, demands, or perfered generes.
<<

in_da_house

Mega Brewer
Mega Brewer

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:27 am

wow dang im not realy up to reading that i ll just agree so i dont get my donkey burnt anymore....
Next

Return to General Chat