Surenix

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:03 am

[Review] Resistance: Fall of Man

Resources: IGN
Since I do not have the game yet nor do I have the console, I thought that for the ones that do have the PlayStation 3, might be something to look forward too.

On the exterior, Fall of Man doesn't look all that different. Take a few steps away from your television with squinted eyes and you could mistake it for Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. But do yourself a favor, open those peepers up and step towards the screen because Resistance doesn't pay homage to World War II... it attempts something on a scale of much larger proportions.

And so begins Fall of Man's overarching storyline; a narrative that benefits from talented voice actors, multiple in-game cutscenes, and a series of old-school "freeze frame" transitions. Though there aren't too many surprises to be found across the game's 20-plus chapters, the plot still plays out well and has interesting, albeit few, main characters. It's likely that by the time you get to the end of this 12-15 hour experience, it was because you were compelled to find out what Hale and the Chimera were really all about... even if the story's ending is a little unclear and open-ended.

Further enhancing the atmosphere are the visuals themselves. Though they're certainly not the most impressive we've ever seen, they're still pretty powerful and accomplish a number of remarkable technical feats. The framerate is locked at 30 the whole way through and doesn't falter anywhere... ever. In fact, regardless of how many enemies and moving objects were on the screen at one time, there wasn't a single frame hitch the entire way through. Oh, and since we're talking about enemies and objects, there are scores of them -- Chimera, British soldiers, tanks, VTOLs, debris, tracers, explosions, and plenty of other moving and stationary are everywhere with alarming frequency. Each and every environment is noticeably different from one another as well, and while the texture work isn't overly detailed, it still looks pretty good. Of course, being that Fall of Man is a first-person shooter, it's the gameplay that matters most and thankfully, Resistance has that in spades.

Part of the success here can also be attributed to the sheer number of options that the developers have assigned to the SIXAXIS without the need for menus. Switching weapons is a breeze (just tap R2), as is bringing up the map (tilt the controller to the left) or checking the multiplayer stat screen (tilt right). You can even rid yourself of targeting tags, fan out fires that have caught your back, or wrestle yourself loose from the grip of enemies by shaking the SIXAXIS like a maniac.

As great as the weapons are, they wouldn't matter much if the enemies you faced off against didn't provide any kind of resistance (ahem). The good news is that the enemies ARE tough. In fact, the AI in Resistance is pretty decent and it makes for quite a challenging time. Some Chimeran soldiers, for example, are smart enough to take cover, change strategic positions, or team up with other monsters in an effort to kill you dead. Granted, their level of intelligence isn't going to blow you away (a large portion of the "first half" enemies dawdle about just waiting to be shot after ambushing you), but it's still good enough to offer surprises and should give even veterans of the genre a thumb workout. Oh, and there's a huge variety of enemies too -- from low-level grunts and Ghostbuster-like demon dogs to enormous cannon-wielding giants and towering spider-creatures.

As strong as everything in Resistance is, the real standout factor in the experience is its multiplayer. Simply put, it's incredible. Jacked in from multiple locations (via broadband Internet connection) we were consistently able to enjoy 30-40 player games with no noticeable lag whatsoever (Insomniac did a fantastic job of hiding what little latency there appears to be). And while all these opponents made for crazy all-out wars, the multiplayer options are flexible enough to allow users to scale maps downward to accommodate smaller parties (40, 32, 24, 16 map types), choose Chimeran or Human sides (complete with unique abilities), and alter the rules to allow for a multitude of possibilities.

As you can tell, we found Resistance to be a heck of a good time, but it did offer up a few disappointing moments. For example, players can and will find several areas in the game that consist of just walking -- a sort of "do nothing" jaunt to the next big action sequence. These are meant to be breathers, sure, but midway through the story it comes across as an unnecessary way to extend stage time longer than it had to be. It's also disappointing that most user-controlled vehicles (which include tanks, jeeps, and a few other surprises) are so incredibly powerful that, unless you're playing on hard, will totally dominate an otherwise-challenging enemy. Throw in the fact that co-op can only be enjoyed offline (online co-op is becoming more and more common these days) and the ending disappointment I mentioned earlier, and you have a less than perfect game.

9.0 Presentation
Insomniac has created a compelling mythos and the unique blend of World War II-level battles with alien technology is a great mix. Expect load times only at the beginning of stages.
8.5 Graphics
A mix of 20th century war machines and intergalactic alien hordes makes for quite the interesting art style. A solid 30fps framerate and plenty of bells and whistles easily impress.
8.5 Sound
When connected to a capable speaker, Resistance will blow your speakers to kingdom come with great audio effects and stellar voice acting. Don't expect to hear much musically, though.
9.0 Gameplay
Experience the best weapons to come along in a shooter for quite some time united with challenging enemies, tight control, smooth online play, and insane boss battles. Seriously fun.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Between 12-15 hours of single-player action, multiple (and very challenging) difficulty levels, four hidden weapons, unlockable secrets and skill points, and a ton of multiplayer options.
OVERALL: 9.1 [Outstanding!]
<<

monkeymaximus

Brewery Owner
Brewery Owner

Thanks given: 50 times

Thanks received: 40 times

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:26 am

First - Great Job!

Second - Saved games can be found here

Third - Im looking forward to one of my buddies getting this game soon ;)
[img]https://brewology.com/images/mm/monkeymaximus.jpg[/img]
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8907/monkeymaximus2ph.jpg
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:42 pm

This game is great, good review Port!
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

Surenix

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Thank you. I cannot wait to get this game too once I get the console. Sounds very fun and with a great review, wonderful!
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:46 pm

It's great, no slowdown in the online play I love it so much!
<<

IOwnAlL

Young Brewer

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:09 am

This game is the BEST (better than gears of war!!)
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:16 pm

well I haven't played GOW but this game is awesome to be a launch release.
<<

monkeymaximus

Brewery Owner
Brewery Owner

Thanks given: 50 times

Thanks received: 40 times

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 pm

i need to play this game, that way I can confirm iownall.
[img]https://brewology.com/images/mm/monkeymaximus.jpg[/img]
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8907/monkeymaximus2ph.jpg
<<

gr33n crack

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:04 pm

G O W is a really good game, right now the game is suffering from a real crappy patch they put out tho! Messed alot up and didn't fix things they said it would, so that sucks (hope they fix it!)
<<

stonecoldboy3

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:40 pm

me and my cousin played coop and then that 40 player online mode is crazy . great game. i would give it a 10/10
<<

arto14

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:30 pm

this is one of the best game reviews i've ever seen on a brew website.

also, this game is sooooooo fruggin tight. the graphics are awsome. i give this game
a 9 out of10
myspace.com/pooponagansta
AIM=arto0121

talk to me =)
<<

kellytna123

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:40 pm

i thought i would have to wait for killzone 2 for a great ps3 shooter but this game is amazing

PSP AND HEAVY METAL FOR LIFE/ if u need help with 3.5 downgrade ask me./ECW/TNA/WWE
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:28 am

Wow, my friend has this game but never thought to play it. I gotta go over there sometime and try this out on multiplayer :P.
<<

Darksleem

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeh great game it was the first ps3 game I got and I still play quite often (when im not playing assassins creed lol).
XBL: Darksleem
PSN: Teh_Sleem
Feel free to add me on either.

<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm

I played the demo yesterday, I will definitely be buying the game, it is my favorite so far that I have played. But it has been out for over a year and it is still $59.99!! Thats not right. It should be at least in the Greatest Hits for $20 :P or probably $30 for the PS3.
Next

Return to PS3 Games