Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Prisoners and health care

Should prisoners recieve health care?

Yes, it is the correctional systems responsibility to keep inmates healthy.
54%
No, lack of healthcare will add to the punishment
46%

Total votes : 13
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:42 pm

If people couldn't see other people's criminal record then day cares would be sooo dangerous and businesses would be robbed again and again by their own employees!
It sounds good at first, but it's there for many, many good reasons.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:54 pm

See,
that is exactly why criminal records need to be kept secret, because you are judging on events that haven't occurred yet. You assume that because someone did time that they will do something again that would earn them another stay in the correctional system.

I say you are wrong; It is thinking like yours that perpetuates the "criminal cycle" because ex cons aren't allowed back into society and therefore have no choice but to commit crimes to survive.

Under my system, if a person does turn out to be a repeat offender the judge will see it and deal with them accordingly but, at least they had an honest chance at a fresh start up until then.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:29 pm

You said prisons don't work! Now you're saying we shouldn't expect them not to work!!!

PWN!!!
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 pm

What I said was:
que13x wrote:Lengthy prison sentences are supposed to be deterrents. I am not arguing whether or not the system works. I am stating that prisoners have it better than they should.

Don't confuse me with this person:
farquezy wrote:Prison is a failed system, 85% of those released are sent back before 6 months of leaving.
F*** PRISON!
its stupid idea, and its meant to be stupid.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

farquezy

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:02 pm

que13x wrote:What I said was:
que13x wrote:Lengthy prison sentences are supposed to be deterrents. I am not arguing whether or not the system works. I am stating that prisoners have it better than they should.

Don't confuse me with this person:
farquezy wrote:Prison is a failed system, 85% of those released are sent back before 6 months of leaving.
F*** PRISON!
its stupid idea, and its meant to be stupid.
Well its not like what im saying it wrong.
For over 2000 years we have had the prison system, AND PEOPLE STILL COMMIT CRIMES nonstop.
it doesnt work!
IT DOESNT FREAKING WORK!!! :D hehe
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Ok, nobody here is really looking at the big picture.

The reason that prisoners receive the care they do is because they are basic needs that SHOULD be provided. Of course you have to feed prisoners. To not do so would border on the lines of capital punishment or torture.

Now healthcare. It is a required by law that everyone receives healthcare in an emergency. Even if you don't have insurance, if you are in need you can be taken care of. Prisoners get just the care they need. You don't see them getiing botox injections or anything unnecessary, but their basic needs must be attended to.

Now, I know there are all of the extra benefits that prisoners get. Well, let me set up a scenario here. Let's take the prison conditions all of you are talking about. No healthcare, 2 basic meals a day, and probably very limited freedom within the prison. Now imagine how those prisoners would feel. Probably pretty friggin angry. Now how would YOU like to go work in that prison? When you become a prison guard you have to sign papers pretty much saying if something happens nobody HAS to rescue you. How you would like to be caught in the middle of a riot at one of the prisons you propose, especially when NO prison has a guard:prisoner ratio anywhere close to 1:2.

We aren't keeping prisoners happy. We are keeping them quiet.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:33 am

brentbizzle wrote:how would YOU like to go work in that prison?

Nobody makes you work in a prison. You choose and sign up like with everything else.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:15 am

So does that mean that because soldiers sign up to fight and possibly die for their country that we DON'T give them armor? No, that doesn't make sense. You protect them as much as possible. That's exactly what we do for prison guards. It's not like prisoners get to do whatever they want. It's still not fun being in prison and definitely isn't safe.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 am

brentbizzle wrote:So does that mean that because soldiers sign up to fight and possibly die for their country that we DON'T give them armor?

For the most part we didn't.

It took an act of congress to put armor on their Hummers www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/a ... 01345.html and as late as 2005 most soldiers wore armor that was inadequate at best. Prior to the 2003 engagements and with some help from protesters, modern armor wasn't even a consideration on the battlefield because of the cost. If you had armor in 2003 it was because you bought it with your own money. www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-0 ... rmor_x.htm

I will give you that state law enforcement was better equipped in this respect but this trend only started after the "North Hollywood shootout" http://www.cnn.com/US/9702/28/shootout.update/ . It was at this moment when the bulk of the states police began to wear ballistic vests regularly and carry automatic weapons as backup. (The patrol cars of the larger cities have M-16s in the trunk.)

I doubt even today that prison guards are so well protected unless they are in a riot situation.

Anyhow, my point is that I still think we invest too much in healthcare and there are many people that get into the correctional system because they are provided with shelter, food and now healthcare. According to the LA Times, California spent $7 BILLION on healthcare upgrades for its prisoners in 2007. I feel that money could have been better served elsewhere perhaps in education or virtually anywhere besides the prison system especially since the state has been on the verge of bankruptcy for the last 8 years.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:00 am

brentbizzle wrote:So does that mean that because soldiers sign up to fight and possibly die for their country that we DON'T give them armor?

LOL that's exactly what we did! Besides, they aren't under jail sentence.

EDIT- ERG!!! Damn you que. I didn't read your post lol

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
Previous

Return to General Chat