<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 am

Blue-ray player

Can anyone offer good advice on a Blue-ray player? PS3 is not an option.

I am really interested in something that will last longer than 8 months. I have a buddy that spent $3xx on one and it crapped out after 8 months. I know people that own PS3s that have had the same experience so that is why no PS3 4 me.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 am

I have a ps3 and its flawless. i have never heard once of any ps3 "crapping out" its one of the origionaly 60gb, and its worked perfectly. plus, why not get a game system along with it.

also, you can get a lenovo computer with a Blu-ray drive like me. all the power of a beast and a blu-ray to boot
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:21 am

Do you just want one for the Blu-ray player or extra features? There are a lot of different price ranges with extra features and pros and cons.

I have heard good things about Panasonic's players, they aren't ultra expensive and are all around good players.
You might want one with internet capability for BD-Live or the ability to upgrade your player.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:02 am

I wouldn't mind being able to stream Netflix or something like that but the "extra features" aren't as important to me as having a reliable player.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:06 am

que13x wrote:I wouldn't mind being able to stream Netflix or something like that but the "extra features" aren't as important to me as having a reliable player.

The PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player out there and is one of the cheapest at $299. Its one of the best because the drive is amazing, and the Cell processor makes the loading and all that crap super super fast unlike most Blu-Ray players, even the best of the best.

Its not what you wanted to hear but there really isn't anything else out there that is as good, for the price.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:06 pm

I have read that some bluray players take upwards of 20-40 seconds to even load a bluray so make sure you look out for that. It feels loads a regular DVD in the PS3 disc player.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:20 pm

The reason I asked is because my Panasonic DVD player is failing (it is old) and I figure I may as well upgrade to something better.

I dunno, perhaps I will just buy a disposable DVD player (<$30) for now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

D3ViLsAdvocate

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Location: ----New Jersey PSP Status:Dead & Gone PS3 Status:Paper Weight PS4 Status:mmm

Thanks given: 3 times

Thanks received: 21 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Just get a PS3, it comes with a 1year factory warranty.
ImageImage
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Its kinda ironic coming a on a PSP forum asking for a Blu-Ray player thats not another Sony product..lol.

When I have been searching i heard the name OPPO come up a lot. Idk how expensive it is though
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:27 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:Its kinda ironic coming a on a PSP forum asking for a Blu-Ray player thats not another Sony product..lol.

When I have been searching i heard the name OPPO come up a lot. Idk how expensive it is though

You pretty much have to be rich to have an OPPO. Its $500. You are really better off with a PS3.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:34 pm

I paid $150 for mine on boxing day last year...its a samsung, dont remember the model but i'll look it up and edit this post with it.

Still works great, picture and sound quality is amazing, only takes about 10 to 15 seconds to load up (player and disc) you can load the updates to a disc from your computer and put it in the player. Didnt really look at the other features as i just hooked it up to my sound system and tv and just watch the movies.

*EDIT*

here's the model i have...its discontinued but seems like they replaced it with the 1600
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-v ... prd_detail
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 pm

staxx wrote:I paid $150 for mine on boxing day last year...its a samsung, dont remember the model but i'll look it up and edit this post with it.

Still works great, picture and sound quality is amazing, only takes about 10 to 15 seconds to load up (player and disc) you can load the updates to a disc from your computer and put it in the player. Didnt really look at the other features as i just hooked it up to my sound system and tv and just watch the movies.

*EDIT*

here's the model i have...its discontinued but seems like they replaced it with the 1600
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-v ... prd_detail

See thats the thing, they get discontinued really fast. Unlike the PS3 that gets a new updates every x months, which adds new features like BDlive and there are a few other features coming out soon old models will not have or get because they are not kept updated.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:18 pm

So the Blu-Ray in the PS3 can be updated via software updates?
+1 for PS3 for that then.

Image Image
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:19 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:Its kinda ironic coming a on a PSP forum asking for a Blu-Ray player thats not another Sony product.

It is.

I have my reasons for not wanting a $ony console. Thanks for the persuading guys but don't bother recommending any more PS3s. As I have stated before I am completely not interested in one.

Thanks.

I think what is going to happen is I am going to build my own Blue-ray unit sort of like a Myth box.

PC Blue-Ray drives are cheap and I have a bunch of PC parts I also like to build things so even though I wasn't leaning that way initially that seems to be how I feel at the moment.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:28 pm

que13x wrote:
BKFraiders7 wrote:Its kinda ironic coming a on a PSP forum asking for a Blu-Ray player thats not another Sony product.

It is.

I have my reasons for not wanting a $ony console. Thanks for the persuading guys but don't bother recommending any more PS3s. As I have stated before I am completely not interested in one.

Thanks.

I think what is going to happen is I am going to build my own Blue-ray unit sort of like a Myth box.

PC Blue-Ray drives are cheap and I have a bunch of PC parts I also like to build things so even though I wasn't leaning that way initially that seems to be how I feel at the moment.

And I totally understand. Sometimes people just dont want a certain product that others love. Its all good. Like I said, if you want to spend some money..go OPPO. If not, probably a Panasonic would be my choice.

Image Image
Next

Return to General Chat