<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Older Linux Machine and WEP

I have an older Linux Netbook that only supports WEP for wireless. I am wondering if I should:

1. Downgrade the wireless on my network from WPA2 to WEP just for this machine that I rarely use.

2.Toss it and setup a new Linux machine that supports WPA2.

3. Add an extra WEP router to my network just for this machine that I will use only on occasion.

4.(whatever anyone suggests that sounds plausible)
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Older Linux Machine and WEP

To be honest dude, I see no reason in using WEP at all. Yea, it will probably stop the occasional cheap neighbor that uses your network on their back deck with their laptop but it takes a minute to crack :/ If the netbook supports minipcie or w/e those cards are called you can pick up a new card off ebay for no more then $15 that will support WPA2 and just use that.

So yea, you could downgrade but anyone that can type in "how to crack wep" into google can gain access to it. Hope that helped a little :p
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Haa, do not remove your WEP key if you live in apartments. People drive around complexes, searching for insecure networks to hack.
Option 3 would be the most ideal.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will go with option 3 because the only inputs for expansion that this netbook has are USB and MCC/SD. I don't write drivers and I doubt I would find what I need with these limited options in a Linux flavor.

BTW the netbook is an Asus EEEPC and I am running Puppy Linux if anyone was wondering.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Oh, how would adding a WEP router to your network help? lol, I'm just saying, thats no different then downgrading your current WPA2 router to WEP. They would still be able to access your network, and even if you were using like a mac filter you could do the same with your current router.

Or do you mean only hook it up when you would use the netbook? Even then you could just get a cable plug it up if it has a ethernet port.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 12 times

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:45 am

Oh. you are running puppy.... lol You could change to a netbook distro. I just posted a very promising distro a little while ago lol.

viewtopic.php?f=160&t=18431&start=0

Return to Computer Chat