psp touch screen mod?

<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:36 am

I do not know all of the engineering details on the pressure sensitivity of the buttons, I do not even know how it works but if you can have variable pressure on the buttons couldn't you have variable input that would basically translate into a true joystick instead of an additional 8 way pad?
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:25 pm

AdventWolf wrote:
roxfox64 wrote:
AdventWolf wrote:So it is possible to have 2 analog instead of the X/O/[]/ and /\ buttons? I figured I heard about that before. I thought about doing that myself. I really wish the psp came with 2 analog sticks in the first place. It's do-able.

Again NOT POSSIBLE!!!
You would have to rebuild the PSP's button circut board entirely from scratch, not to mention make the FW recognize the input from the analog stick seeing as how the buttons don't have many varibles(Analog stock:
↑= 128, 0
← = 0, -128 → = 0, 128
↓ = -128, 0
Buttons: 0 = unpushed 1 - 3 = Pushed+Amount of force used
)
You would have to change the analog sticks Circut board to count only to 3 instead of 128
and also the buttons are seprate items which give seprate values
(The PSP recognizes the input as "Lua":
if controls.read Cross()
then etc.
if controls.read analog(128, 0)
etc.)

Understand?

There are several videos and pictures AND tutorials out there of how to have to analog sticks. I saw a bunch of videos on youtube and other random sties. There are several versions of the placing of the analog sticks as well. But I have seen one that goes in place of the buttons. I don't really know how you can just add an analog out of no where, because the firmware and the game would have to be programed to use it. It may be a hard taks but it HAS been done.

Understand?

Are you refering to TRUE analog sticks or some kind of plastic item that goes under the faceplate?
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 pm

He means two working analog sticks... at least, that's what it sounds like.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:44 pm

true my friend. TRUE.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 am

Ok, you guys made me do it. I was too lazy to do it on my own earlier but I needed to let the dogg go pee and now I can't sleep. So, I ran tests of my own with Wipeout for the PSP and GT2 emulated on the PSP and neither game behaved as though the buttons were pressure sensitive. I know GT2 does accept pressure sensitive control from all of the buttons on the Dual Shock controller, I am not too sure if Wipeout should, but it did not behave so for the PSP.

I have found nothing online that states the buttons for the PSP are pressure sensitive like on the Dual Shock controllers, so I must conclude that they are not since I do not have any other way to test them (lack of access to expensive electronic equipment right now).

Therefore, unless anymore evidence surfaces I conclude that there is no way to properly add an additional true analog joystick like the one on the left side of the PSP, be it under, over or attached on the side of the PSP without a serious revision or mod to the firmware and or motherboard (as already stated) on the component level such as in the form of an Analog to Digital Converter to allow this.

The buttons only turn on and off representing true digital inputs. This configuration would only allow you to have 8 directional control, not true analog control.

I believe this should kill the PSP dual analog idea for this thread, unless more evidence comes to light.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:04 am

que13x wrote:Ok, you guys made me do it. I was too lazy to do it on my own earlier but I needed to let the dogg go pee and now I can't sleep. So, I ran tests of my own with Wipeout for the PSP and GT2 emulated on the PSP and neither game behaved as though the buttons were pressure sensitive. I know GT2 does accept pressure sensitive control from all of the buttons on the Dual Shock controller, I am not too sure if Wipeout should, but it did not behave so for the PSP.

I have found nothing online that states the buttons for the PSP are pressure sensitive like on the Dual Shock controllers, so I must conclude that they are not since I do not have any other way to test them (lack of access to expensive electronic equipment right now).

Therefore, unless anymore evidence surfaces I conclude that there is no way to properly add an additional true analog joystick like the one on the left side of the PSP, be it under, over or attached on the side of the PSP without a serious revision or mod to the firmware and or motherboard (as already stated) on the component level such as in the form of an Analog to Digital Converter to allow this.

The buttons only turn on and off representing true digital inputs. This configuration would only allow you to have 8 directional control, not true analog control.

I believe this should kill the PSP dual analog idea for this thread, unless more evidence comes to light.

The psp buttons are pressure sensitive(PS), as they use the same PS board as a ps2 controller. Its just a usual press goes all the way to max. Try pressing it down softly and you'll see.

Finally, somebody gets it!
For those of you who don't get that a dual analog stick is not possible, take your PSPs face plate off. Then you'll see the analog stick is a small square module, and the buttons are flat pressure sensors.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 am

roxfox64 wrote:The psp buttons are pressure sensitive(PS), as they use the same PS board as a ps2 controller.

I thought that they were but my test and research although limited, revealed that they were not.
How do you test/verify that the buttons are pressure sensitive? What PSP titles take advantage of this?
Do you know of a site or can you explain how it works?
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:07 am

Midnight Club 3 DUB ED
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:53 am

I have been asking around on this issue and here is what I have found out about the Dual Shock controllers that supposedly the PSP buttons are based on:

Each of the 4 main buttons has a tiny curved disk attached to its bottom (sort of like a little blister) this disk is very conductive. On the motherboard there is a thin conductive strip beneath each button. When a button is pressed, the disk is pushed against the controller's circuit board. When the button is pressed lightly, the curved disk barely touches the strip and thus barely increases conductivity. if the button is pressed hard, more of the disk touches the strip, thus increasing the level of conductivity. This could be plotted on a linear graph and therefore I believe that an analog substitution solution for the 4 main buttons would be possible, at least on the Dual Shock controllers, the same should be true if the PSP is indeed based on the same design. However, I am not sacrificing my slim or what is left of my fatty to prove it though, especially since I own no games that support it.

I was never too interested in Midnight Club to buy it and I am not getting it just to try an experiment that may not work.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:33 am

I could post some Pictures of my PSP's Circut Board
and my PS2 controller's circut board if it helps.

As far as MCD3 goes go to game stop and ask to try a used copy. If you have a memstick with 2+ GB of space you could use Filer 4.8 to make an ISO, and have the game and still not pay for it \(^o^)/
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 am

Naw, Pix won't help.

I would need to get in there and take measurements and try things, you can't do that with pictures. Truth is I really do not want to invest the time on that though in theory with pressure sensitive pads I think it is possible. I do not want to go through it and find out that I need to do a firmware tweak or something to make it work just right.

Midnight Club a favorite of yours? I know people at Gamestop that would let me sample the original at the store. The only real use of the game would be to verify that the controls on the PSP ARE pressure sensitive. I will take your word that they are so I really do not need to get the game to verify your statement.

The other thing is that I am not a developer and therefore I would not write my own code to take advantage of the modification assuming I ever completed it. If I were I might do a true version of HALO, Half-Life or something like that since they seem so popular. I also think dodging a lawsuit from Micro$oft would not be a lot of fun either.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:59 pm

well, try the ISO thing on GoW.
I'm sure they have some used copies by now.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Do you mean getting the PS2 version of God of War to run on a PSP? If it is possible it would run like crap most of the time because the PSP could not handle all of the sprites or polygons for multiple enemies. If you have played think about the Cerebus and how it multiplies and imagine what a chore that would be for the PSP to handle.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:38 pm

No, I mean Chains of Olympus.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Umm... Ok. I own the game.
What exactly is it that you want me to try with an ISO of Chains of Olympus?
PreviousNext

Return to PlayStation Portable