<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun May 11, 2008 5:20 pm

How was pandoras battery Discovered?

how did this whole Pandora battery/magic memory stick thing even discovered in the first place?
Steeler12
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Sun May 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Wasn't it like bricked psp sent to sony had the unbricking (pandora) software on a memory stick and that one hacking team found out and well the rest is history.
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sun May 11, 2008 5:30 pm

idk thats why i asked...haha
so sony left the files on a bricked psp and basically some hacking team used the info to make thier own...?
Steeler12
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sun May 11, 2008 5:32 pm

I believe so. Thats what I heard though so I'm not sure.

Pandora's Battery

On August 22, 2007, Team C+D released the "Pandora's Battery" that can convert a spare Memory Stick Pro Duo and battery into a "Magic Memory Stick" and a "JigKick Battery". The Memory Stick and the JigKick battery couple is called "Pandora's Battery". The Memory Stick and battery can then be used to downgrade any PSP of any version or to recover from a brick. To convert the Memory Stick and battery another PSP which is able to run 1.50 homebrew is needed. The Memory Stick can also be converted without using a homebrew PSP by using a Pandora's battery program, such as Pandora Easy GUI. After the downgrade/unbrick service has been completed, the Memory Stick and battery can be restored for normal usage.

A "JigKick Battery" is a battery with the first address in the EEPROM chip changed to 0xFFFFFFFF. This unlocks the service mode of the PSP and launches the IPL from the Memory Stick (instead of from flash0). A "Magic Memory Stick" consists of a reverse-engineered IPL and a minimal subset of the firmware 1.50 stored on a Memory Stick Pro Duo. This downgrader can downgrade all firmware versions. The original version is incompatible with the PSP Slim & Lite due to the 1.50 IPL being incompatible with PSP Slim & Lite hardware. However, on September 28, 2007, a version that works on both the old style PSP and the Slim & Lite was released. The new debricker is called Despertar del Cementerio, and is also known as the Universal Unbricker, which was developed by Dark_Alex. Instead of installing firmware version 1.50, it installs a custom firmware.[9]

The "JigKick" battery can also be created by lifting the fifth pin of the EEPROM on the battery's mainboard, circled here. This is somewhat dangerous because it disables the EEPROM entirely, and may have side effects such as overheating if pin 5 is shorted to other pins while desoldering.

The battery that is included with the PSP Slim can also be converted into a "Pandora" battery by using the hardware modification method mentioned above. [2]

There is now a method developed by HellCat that will enable users of custom firmware above 3.71 M33 which does not automatically have the 1.50 firmware kernel to create a Pandora battery. This method can be found here.

Though Sony advocates against use of any homebrew, representatives have said that the Pandora's Battery will not physically harm the PSP in any manner, as this is the same method used by Sony when customers send in their bricked PSPs for repair.[citation needed]
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sun May 11, 2008 5:36 pm

while back i saw a vid of some kid in japan using it way b4 us
<<

amaric

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Sun May 11, 2008 11:28 pm

i think everyone should know this..seriously we would be having a much difficult time if it wasnt for the pandora method
zomgardninjasayrawr
<<

robbiesonic3

Brewer
Brewer

Post Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 am

.Yunoko wrote:Wasn't it like bricked psp sent to sony had the unbricking (pandora) software on a memory stick and that one hacking team found out and well the rest is history.
that is so f**k cool i mean sony has alot of sh*t that they can use for psp that we cant get .
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Mon May 12, 2008 8:01 am

What else do u think they have Robbie? I mean we have their unbricker, Games, better firmware then they can dream of. what else do u think they have that we dont?
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

robbiesonic3

Brewer
Brewer

Post Mon May 12, 2008 8:22 am

BKFraiders7 wrote:What else do u think they have Robbie? I mean we have their unbricker, Games, better firmware then they can dream of. what else do u think they have that we dont?
your stick dudes or cool man and funny but you should know sony has some what plans for psp and verson 4.00 but what will be in it ?
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 am

Ah yes. Thats one thing i wasnt thinking of. New firmwares. I was more along the thinking of tools. 4.0 i presume will either hold a ton of updates or not much at all. I also presume it will have a lot to do with the Slim psp instead for us fats.

O, and thanks. I got the sticks from Diehard
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Well anything sony makes on official firmware is much better than custom things. If they update the flash player on the internet that would be sweeet. (If it didn't take too long to load the videos). But they are the ones that made the hardware, they can do about anything with it. Sadly we have needed hackers to do all the work :P.
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon May 12, 2008 4:24 pm

it kinda sucks to think of all the things the psp could do if some really experienced and knowledgeable people worked on it, like if sony and Nintendo worked on a N64 emulator =0
Steeler12
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon May 12, 2008 5:01 pm

I bet sony, nintendo, and microsoft have no idea have we do it. Yea they might know a little but nothing compared to say DAX.
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon May 12, 2008 5:14 pm

wait, are you saying that if people from nintendo got together with sony they couldnt make a perfect N64 emu?

and is DAX good at all Kinds of Homebrew or is he just kind of focused on Firmwares and whatnot?
Steeler12
<<

robbiesonic3

Brewer
Brewer

Post Mon May 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Steeler12 wrote:wait, are you saying that if people from nintendo got together with sony they couldnt make a perfect N64 emu?

and is DAX good at all Kinds of Homebrew or is he just kind of focused on Firmwares and whatnot?
he does make more than just firmware you know but it would be good to have a new n64 emulater for psp sometime .
Next

Return to PlayStation Portable