<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops... what more can be said?

::Graphics:: = 10.1 /10

The graphics in this game are a mind-blowing example of just how close the psp can come to imitating the ps2. That said, if you have played the other games in the series, this game will be just as enjoyable. You can tell that the graphics are exceptional when you zoom in with the sniper. This is definitely a prime example of the psp's potential that, sadly, most developers don't even try to use.

::Gameplay:: = 9 /10

The psp is the only flaw that this game has (not having a second analog stick). You can do everything in this game that you can do in the other games, like running/shooting, hanging/ dropping, climbing ladders, crawling. When you aim your weapon, the screen will automatically enter first person view mode for the best accuracy, which is another minor flaw to some people b/c you don't have the option to hold the gun out, and fire (you can run/shoot and stand/shoot, but if you stand shoot it will enter 1st person view, not third).

::Story:: = 9.2 /10

The story shouldn't be too different from what you'd normally expect in a Metal Gear Solid game. One thing should always apply. That is, "destroy Metal Gear". Don't expect a million plot twists in this game like in Sons of Liberty. This game's story is still amazing in its own respect. In the beginning of the game, you meet Roy Campbell, who is your commander in Metal Gear Solid on the playstation 1. The story also takes place AFTER Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, so if you are wondering why someone would call him "naked snake" or why he is missing an eye... if you've played Snake Eater you should know. This is a continuance from the Snake Eater storyline as Snake/ Big Boss has entered foxhound.

::Sound:: = 9.9 /10

The sound is flawless in this game. You can expect all of the sounds that you are used to like the ALERT "wail". When you are creeping around and think you are doing really well, and hear that siren, you just might pee yourself, so watch out for that. All of the guns sound amazing/ much like their ps2 counterparts. Your footsteps sound perfect and are perfectly synced to your movement. Also, the sound will change if you are stepping on a metal floor vs. a cement one etc.

::Multiplayer:: haven't used it fully, but 9.5 /10 for Game Sharing

I have only played the "game sharing" version of multiplayer, but I can tell you that it is amazing. On the game share, you will have four weapons to choose from every time you respawn, being grenades, tranquilizer, assault rifle, and sniper. You only have one level to battle on with game sharing mode, and there is just a SLIGHT lag when the game gets really intense (but I think this is just b/c there is only one disc that is hosting). I think that if you had two discs and played the full multiplayer, that the game would play 100%. Just the game sharing version of multiplayer kept me hooked for HOURS. It was a lot of fun sneaking up on my friends and tranquilizing them, only to allow them to get back up and do it again ;). Another pretty funny thing was saluting my friends with the SELECT button after I had beat them.

::Tilt:: = 8.8 /10

This game has plenty of tilt from the others. Since it takes place in the past, the best "radar" you have is a "sound based radar" that doesn't tell you where your enemies are necessarily. The radar will detect the sounds that surround the character. While doing the sneak/walk, you will be silent (as well as crawling). Another aspect that makes this game different is that you can recruit soldiers. This is done by actually knocking out one of their soldiers (non-lethally of course) and dragging them back to your Jeep/ truck. After a while, you will have transformed them from enemies to allies, and they will be usable in combat... but if they die, they are gone for good.

::Replay Value:: = 6.5 /10

As with all Metal Gear Solid games... once you beat it, you know how things go. That said, the big thing with this game is that you can play for a faster time/ less kills/ less times being in alert mode and what-not, but being able to play multiplayer with a friend is where I expect the real replay value to come in handy.

::Overall:: = 9/ 10

I'd have to rate this game a 9/ 10. The only flaws I can see that are in this game are that the inventory screen is limited to just a few items, whereas in the older games you could carry tons of stuff. Also, that the psp doesn't have a second analog stick... which is a downer for quite a few games :(. This game is a great game though, one of the best for psp. This game will make you proud that you own a psp. I think that this is one of the few psp games worth buying for 40 clams.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

stonecoldboy3

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:52 am

great review :D
<<

arto14

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:28 am

i got so frustrated w/ this game. i almost had the game beat, but then my lil bro decides he wants to start a new game....... under my file.
myspace.com/pooponagansta
AIM=arto0121

talk to me =)
<<

Mailas

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Nice job pacman.
MGS really is the best FPS for PSP (unless microsoft worked with sony and made halo for psp, then it would be the second best game :) )
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:22 pm

I just wish I can get this game to go online.
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:13 pm

nice review pacman, want to try this game out badly
Last edited by FireFoxx on Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Mailas

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:21 pm

Critics and IGN localists like to speak about this game quite a lot, its quite popular if you ask me.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 pm

On every system there are a few games that REALLY outshine the rest. Like Halo on xbox or Gran Turismo 4 on the ps2. Those types of great games make themselves instant classics (there are others as well, just using those as references).

If you own a psp, and want one of those games for the psp, then get Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. It annihilated my expectations and showed me what types of games the psp can actually play (just that developers don't spend time to make). At first, I had thought that the Grand Theft Auto games had made the psp what it is today, but after playing Portable Ops, my viewpoint swayed quite a bit. Killzone Liberation is another pretty decent shooter on the psp, though it is 3rd person. I recommend it as well.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

arto14

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:20 pm

oh duh i feel like an idiot. since my data got erased ill just download the file
under saved data. if its there
myspace.com/pooponagansta
AIM=arto0121

talk to me =)
<<

psp king

Brewer
Brewer

Post Sat May 12, 2007 7:06 am

i have a demo of this game on my psp and all i can do is host a game or join a game but it is really fun though :shock:
<<

da_best_34

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:03 pm

I bought this game the day it came out and didn't stop playin it till I beat it, I played thru all 6 periods at skool, and then until 1 am
2.80 > 3.51 > 3.50 > 1.50
Got to 3.51 through a stupid cousin messing around with your psp, and network updating it, but got lucky through a trade, and downgraded my new 3.50 to 1.50
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:48 pm

arto14 wrote:oh duh i feel like an idiot. since my data got erased ill just download the file
under saved data. if its there

lol welcome to the club, I once formated my psp and completely forgot about my saved games.
<<

kellytna123

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:30 pm

nice review. i guess i just play snake eater till metal gear 4 comes out.

PSP AND HEAVY METAL FOR LIFE/ if u need help with 3.5 downgrade ask me./ECW/TNA/WWE
<<

GreyF0X

Young Brewer

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:47 pm

In my opinion, the greatest game for PSP by far. The graphics are shockingly impressive, the gameplay takes a minute or two to get the hang of, but is very very solid, and the storyline may not be the best of the series, it answers a lot of questions and fills in some of the gaps between Snake Eater and "Metal Gear."
A definite must-own for any MGS fan or any hardcore PSPer.

Return to PlayStation Portable