blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Two Moons!

Two moons on 27th August 2007

27th August; the day the Whole World is waiting for ......

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August.

It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65 Million miles of earth.

Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am . It will look like the earth has 2 moons.
The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:46 pm

This is cool I, for sure will be taking lots of pictures of it.
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:49 pm

im looking forward too it. but one problem, it is the first day o school on that day.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:13 pm

yeah, I've heard about that, pretty interesting.....I wonder how would our world look.
<<

Mailas

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Oh yeah august 27th, I cant wait. PRISON BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But whats this all about? Some kind of donkey in space?
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Quiet Numbskulls. *pokes eyes*
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:11 am

Only problem for me is that its suppose to storm that night or its going to be cloudy.

http://world-amazing-facts.blogspot.com ... event.html

If you look there at the picture the 2nd biggest thing in the sky is Mars. I think its going to be weird that, that small thing is going to be as big as the moon.
<<

juan_da_n00b

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:39 am

Sweet didnt know that! Im getting my digital camera and taking pics of it! Maybe ill share pics in this thread ;)

EDIT:

Isnt it weird that it just happens to be in the day school starts.

PS: Im sharing this in Myspace and try to spread it!
PSP busted

My other laptop speedtest (Pavilion ze2000)

MY laptop (pavilion N5210)

Im impressed, it says i got road runner, but i dont!
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:51 am

That sucks for you guys. My school doesn't start till September.
<<

juan_da_n00b

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:54 am

Well...

Its worth staying up for!!! Besides whats wrong with being a little late the second day :wink:
PSP busted

My other laptop speedtest (Pavilion ze2000)

MY laptop (pavilion N5210)

Im impressed, it says i got road runner, but i dont!
<<

D3vk1t

Brewer
Brewer

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:03 pm

ill try to remember
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:50 am

remember its two nites away
<<

D3ViLsAdvocate

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Location: ----New Jersey PSP Status:Dead & Gone PS3 Status:Paper Weight PS4 Status:mmm

Thanks given: 3 times

Thanks received: 21 times

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:29 pm

Is that eastern time?
ImageImage
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:39 pm

i dunno, all i got in my email is 27th at the time
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:32 pm

FROM YAHOO ANSWERS:

You have received a hoax e-mail. They circulate every summer. Loads of people must get them because Yahoo! Answers gets loads of questions on this subject.

Once upon a time a long time ago (about 60,000 BC) there was a close approach of Mars to Earth of about 34.5 million miles..

Mars did not come that close to Earth again until 27th August 2003. That was worth remarking upon as a memorable occasion and received publicity. These occasions are called perihelic oppositions.

Mars (magnitude -2.9) was marginally brighter than Jupiter (magnitude -2.8) on that date in 2003. However Venus which is both larger than Mars and nearer than Mars is (as you might expect) always brighter than Mars and varies between magnitude -3.8 and - 4.6.

So the statement in the e-mail that Mars is about to become the brightest planet in the night sky is untrue.

The hoaxers do not know much about astronomy. They just sensationalise and distort the limited facts they have managed to pick up without properly understanding them or their implications.

As Venus has never been seen as large as the Moon and Venus is always brighter than Mars, it follows that Mars will not be seen to be as large as the Moon not on 27th August nor at any other time.

The naive belief that it "could be" that large this time just reveals the hoaxers' lack of understanding of how the Sun's gravity keeps the planets in stable orbits, which means the extent to which they vary in their positions is calculable and predictable.

Humanity has been studying and predicting the planets and their orbits for 4,000 years and writing their findings up in almanacs and suddenly someone comes along and declares "an unexpected dramatic change in a stable orbit is about to occur", wlthout explaining why that should be so. And expects to be believed!?

So the hoaxers do not understand how the Sun's gravity regulates and forces planets into stable orbits and how that makes the calculating and prediction of planetary orbits possible and how humanity has done just that for 4,000 years and developed theories to explain planets' behaviour, As part of understanding some order and pattern in that behaviour and in the universe,

The hoaxers however seem to be suggesting that planets behave unpredictably and chaotically without any pattern or sense to that behaviour, and further, that they the hoaxers, like the Delphic Oracle of old, have unique divination powers and are passing on their knowledge, to which they alone are privy, to lucky old you.

Whereas all they are in fact passing on is misinformation based on their ignorance.

Mars, even at its nearest in 2003, was 140 times as far away as the Moon, and it is only twice its size (Equatorial radius of Mars = 3,402.5 km. Equatorial radius of the Moon = 1,738.14 km.).

So how could an object that is twice the size of the Moon but at least 140 times as far away (more like 220 times as far away in December 2007 when it will be 55 million miles away) ever look as big as the Moon? Does a tomato 140 yards away look as big as a cherry held at arm's length?

The only way Mars could ever appear as large as the Moon is if it were to get as close as a million miles away,

If it did do that, it would be a disaster, causing huge tidal waves on Earth and tsunamai such as we have not seen the like of before. It would not be a thing to gawp at, and say "Oh wow! Awesome!" and tell all your friends to look out for it at 12.30 am !

But of course it won't do that (come within a million miles of Earth) as Mars has a stable orbit.

The hoaxers have sent out the same e-mail every summer as regards 27 August 2004, 27 August 2005, 27 August 2006 and now 27 August 2007. Again revealing their ignorance of how the Solar System works. Mars has a year that equals 1.88 Earth years and as a result only comes close to us once every 26 months: on 27th August 2003, and then not again until 30th October 2005 and then not again until 18th December 2007.

The idea of it having a close approach on the same date every year is nonsense therefore, it is not like a wedding anniversary or a birthday or Mothers' Day, As the hoaxers seem to believe,

If anyone had have craned their necks and looked at the skies at 12.30 am on 27 August 2004 or 27th August 2006, all they would have got for their efforts was a stiff neck. As Mars was on the far side of the Sun on those two occasions and nowhere to be seen, as it was hidden behind the Sun's glare.

That is how much the hoaxers know about astronomy. That is how accurate and worthless their predictions are. Nobody should be taken in by their "knowledge" and nobody should copy and spread their e-mail to others so as "to pass on the exciting news" they have just received.

Snopes.com have a useful article on the hoax.
Next

Return to PlayStation Portable