Bricked in a sense

<<

Kalthanis

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:22 am

Bricked in a sense

I installed onto my PSP the Pandora multi-boot loader, as well as 3.71M33-2. It worked fine at first, but after a while the VSH menu (that thingz that pop up when you press select) screwed up, as in whenever I tried to close it after opening, my PSP froze. And now, I turn it on and even though if you remove a UMD or the Memory stick the correct icons disappear, no matter what I push notihng happens. If I power off nothing happens. I have to remove the battery. I uninstalled the mutli-boot loader (If you don't know what that is, it's the thing that lets you run your PSP with a pandora battery and memory stick) and reverted my battery to normal but nothing changed.

If you need more description, just post, otherwise, HALP.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:17 pm

You on a slim or fat?
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Kalthanis

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:55 am

Shouldn't be bumping this, but since it's got most of the info on it already...

Well, I disabled the VSH menu from the recovery menu on the PSP, and it worked fine, however it randomly mutes itself (used to do that before) and whenever you turn the screen off, it stays off until you restart the PSP. All was well and good until over Christmas I bought me some new games, and they worked fine at first. But, after a while, I started getting insane load times, one even taking around 10 minutes! It's not frozen, because there is still movement in the game, it is just taking a really god damn long time to load. Stuff loaded from the memory stick (i.e. music) doesn't seem to have the same problem so I'm guessing it's the UMD Reader...

Here's the icing on the cake: I pandora'd my PSP, and THE PROBLEMS WERE STILL THERE. What's more, I figured that maybe I should revert to regular firmware, maybe that would make it better... Oh no, I got an error saying something was wrong with the system configuration and I had to see technical support . The error code was something like ?xFFFFFF. Might've been more F's though, can't remember...

Since I've pandora'd this about 3 times, and it's from Japan and I'm in New Zealand, will I be able to take this into a shop? Because I'm guessing that's what I've gotta do... It's a phat psp, on Ta-8302? Or, the motherboard that downgraders don't work on, and has the white lettering behind the UMD case. I can't remember what it's called.

Point is, HALP. I think I've covered everything... If I'm missing any info just say what it is
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:55 am

Have you tried re-flashing your psp? And in order to upgrade to OFW, you have to downgrade to 1.50 first. And yea, when you load your games from your memory stick, the load times practically cut in half.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Well the only two things that i can think of...

1. Your Flash1 files are corrupt.
2. Your UMD laser/drive is either going, or needs to be cleaned.

1. You can fix this by booting into recovery mode and formatting your flash1. Hold r trigger on startup, this will bring you into the recovery menu. Then i believe its under either configuration or advanced and then select the option that says format flash1.

2. You can check stuff to look for on this link http://www.llamma.com/PSP/repair/PSP_UM ... _Discs.htm

As for your loading times...

If its from a UMD then it's gotta be your laser or drive...if its loading from a mem stick then it may be that your mem stick is fake. You can check the authenticity of your stick by scrolling to the mem stick icon, press triangle, then click information. If it says unsupported or unknown then its fake.

Other than whats been listed above...the only other solution i can think of would be to try upgrading to 3.80 m33-2
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Kalthanis

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:54 pm

>AdventWolf

Yeah, I pandora'd my PSP to 1.50, and the update (3.52) wouldn't run. So I just reinstalled 3.71m33. I've only got a 1gb memory stick atm though, otherwise I would just rip my discs to Memory stick.

>staxx

1. So, I just format it, and then all should be well? I don't have to reinstall anything or whatever?
2. My load times are definately slow on UMD... if you've played Final Fantasy tactics, you know how all the characters walk on the spot? Well, whenever someone casts a spell, there's a pause between the name of the spell and the casting of the spell, i.e. loading the graphics. Once it took like 10 minutes and everyone was still walking on the spot >.<
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Kalthanis wrote:Yeah, I pandora'd my PSP to 1.50, and the update (3.52) wouldn't run. So I just reinstalled 3.71m33. I've only got a 1gb memory stick atm though, otherwise I would just rip my discs to Memory stick.

Did you run the k-xploit patcher? When upgrading from 1.50 to 3.52 m33 your required to use k-xploit before installing the actual custom firmware. I think i might have an easy installer for 3.52 m33 laying around on my computer somewhere. If you want it just let me know and i'll upload it for you.
Kalthanis wrote:1. So, I just format it, and then all should be well? I don't have to reinstall anything or whatever?

Yup...If the Flash1 is the source of the problem, it will fix it. Nothing needs to be reinstalled.
Kalthanis wrote:2. My load times are definately slow on UMD... if you've played Final Fantasy tactics, you know how all the characters walk on the spot? Well, whenever someone casts a spell, there's a pause between the name of the spell and the casting of the spell, i.e. loading the graphics. Once it took like 10 minutes and everyone was still walking on the spot >.<

Never played it, but i get the picture. Wait to see if the flash1 format fixes it, if it doesnt then your umd drive has to be the source of the problem. Theyre pretty easy to fix though, so if you trust yourself to swap the parts with a decent guide then i can link you to one.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Kalthanis

Young Brewer

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:11 am

I ran all the updates to the letter in the instructions... I've done them a few times before as well on friend's PSPs, as well as when I first pandora'd my PSP. These problems literally popped up out of no where (i.e. not immediately after the installation of a program or the change of settings, but just popped up randomly). I formatted the flash1, nothing happened, it just came up with the config thing like it does when you pandora your psp, I think it's a hardware or flash0 problem (unless that's formatted during pandora as well?)

I don't mind the random muting, it's just the load times and I'm guessing it's the UMD Drive that's the problem. I'm not too much of a pro with hardware of any sort but I'm usually really good at following instructions as long as they're good instructions, so post the link :/ Will the parts cost much and where can I get them from?

Return to PSP Help