Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Looking to purchase new PSP system (not daxter/SW)

<<

argo

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Looking to purchase new PSP system (not daxter/SW)

Hi, I'm new to this (the PSP). I payed SNES, NES ROMS on my PC a while ago (I'm on a MAC now), such as CHRONO TRIGGER.
I'm looking to get that same functionality on a PSP. Seeing as the Slim PSP is out now, I'd much rather get that verson. There are many options on ebay, some with comparable pricing to BestBuy.
I don't see the combo packs (Daxter/ Star Wars) as a deal. I would rather go with an 8GB memory stick than 1GB for movies.
I have many movies, some of which I can only play off of VLC media player so I don't know if they will work on a PSP. I am guessing that a "homebrew" might make that work.
Also, I didn't realize there are so many things you can do on a PSP.
I am definitely getting the GPS device, but I don't know if tampering with firmware my negate that.
What's the best way to get homebrew to work on the slim psp (isnt this the best option to buy instead of an older fat system?). I have no soldering technique, nor will be buying a 2nd PSP to make my own pandora, also I don't know if I should be getting Lumines (and why this is necessary).
If someone can link me to where I can go that would be great! Also, some buying tips for a new psp is good.
If there are any downsides to the lite PSP, besides that plasticky feeling, the different loading try, I'm fine with all that.
Thanks
DAMN THE TORPEDOES FULL SPEED AHEAD!
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:04 pm

I'd suggest getting a plain Black/"phat" PSP. it comes at 169.99 now. It might come as 3.50 firmware, so you can use the Lumines I Downgrader to get your psp to firmware 1.50.
However, the newer Lumines I games don't work because there is a patch on them.

if you where to get a slim psp, you will need to get a pandoras battery and magic memory stick in order to downgrade it to 1.50. Then upgrade to a custom firmware, which can use emulators and all sorts of homebrew applications.
<<

argo

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:16 pm

AdventWolf wrote:if you where to get a slim psp, you will need to get a pandoras battery and magic memory stick in order to downgrade it to 1.50. Then upgrade to a custom firmware, which can use emulators and all sorts of homebrew applications.

Do I have to retain the pandoras battery and magic memory stick after downgrade/upgrade? If I got a premade slim M33 system would I ever need these items?
DAMN THE TORPEDOES FULL SPEED AHEAD!
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:29 pm

You don't have too, but it would be a good thing to have if you brick your psp.

Return to PSP Help