Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Interested in Windows Game Programming? XNA is the tool!

<<

Mailas

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Interested in Windows Game Programming? XNA is the tool!

Hello brewers.

I am here to interest you in a great library known as: XNA.
If you would really like to get into the field of Computer Science (specifically Game Programming), this is an incredibly resource for you. I currently give lectures about this and I am very interested in telling you all about it.

I'm sure most of you are probably thinking: "programming is too complicated" "I don't think I will ever make a game"
well look no further. The tool used (Visual Studio Express Edition by Microsoft), allows you for total control over the unique capabilities of the Windows environment.

The language you will learn is called: C# (C Sharp), which is a bit of a "simpler" version (as I might call it) to C / C++ (which a lot of you I'm sure are probably mind boggled by).

The thing that's so great about this is that you can make not only Windows games, but XBOX 360 games as well (Zune games too). People have wondered that making 2 of the same game might be extremely difficult to accomplish (referring to the word 'port'), but no, your code is almost exactly the same when moving to different consoles.

As I stated before, the tool you use is Visual Studio, I really would like to encourage you to download and try it out. Before starting XNA, you may want to familiarize yourself with the C# language. Try going to google and looking some tutorials up.

If not, you can also try some of Microsoft's beginner XNA tutorials (which requires no experience what so ever).

I just wanted to point out this great innovative tool to all of you and in hopes some day you may be great game designers (for those who would like to get into this field).

For more information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937791.aspx

Have a good one.
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:41 am

Can i ask, can this make Trainers aswell, as i can't install TMK (trainer maker Kit) onto my computer because its windows 7 64 bit, and C++ is soooooo complicated.
Being redone
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 am

OMG you just made my day. ill be ALL OVER that. ive been looking for something like this for like 3 months
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

Mailas

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 am

Alex Finlay wrote:Can i ask, can this make Trainers aswell, as i can't install TMK (trainer maker Kit) onto my computer because its windows 7 64 bit, and C++ is soooooo complicated.

I have never heard of Trainer Maker before, but it seems to be a packet editor, and if you are thinking of "hacking" XNA made games, well I guess I can say: Yes its possible. Anything with memory can be "hacked"
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Game Maker is also really awesome.
<<

Mailas

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Its great for beginners I guess but the prime time companies I can guarantee you do not use it.
It is nothing more than an interpreted language, and is very limited in capabilities.
However its amazing to see what great solutions it has made.

Still this is about XNA though. I think people are better off starting with it, or Python.
Plus Game Maker doesn't have the ability to go on the Xbox.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Well, I absolutely love it!

Return to Developers & Programming