Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

google+ invites & discussion

<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:27 pm

google+ invites & discussion

Who wants a Google+ invite? leave your email and i will do my best to invite while they are active.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: GOOGLE+ INVITES!!!!! HURRY BEFORE IT CLOSES AGAIN

Personally I don't like it. Got one from my buddy and it just feels so weird, like idk.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 12 times

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:18 am

Google+ Thoughts?

I got one lol. I am loving it.

Has anyone gotten around to using Google+? I got an invite earlier today and I am loving it. I especially like the privacy options they put in place with the circles. I put a blog post explaining in more detail lol.
Thoughts on said new Google product?

http://seriouspineapple.blogspot.com/2011/07/google.html
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 am

Re: google+ invites & discussion

I guess the reason I don't like it is because I'm used to facebook. It took me a while to figure out how to post something to someone elses "wall", I can't figure out how to make an album I made for my profile picture private and what not. Also it isn't even showing someone who added me to their "circle" as me being in their circle on my page even though I added them as well and crap like that. I think "+1" stuff is a pretty stupid name for it. It just seems like a very poor and buggy copy of facebook to me, nothing really new just relabeled stuff. The only thing I have really liked so far is that when you search for a page you can +1 it also on google's search engine, and I guess the circles thing can be nice but personally if I add someone as a friend I don't really care what they are allowed to see on my page, or I wouldn't have added them as a friend to begin with.

TL:DR - It's glitchy and a cheap copy of facebook.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

D3ViLsAdvocate

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Location: ----New Jersey PSP Status:Dead & Gone PS3 Status:Paper Weight PS4 Status:mmm

Thanks given: 3 times

Thanks received: 21 times

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:26 pm

I like be able to specify which people go into which circle. I'll use this feature the most for people I play online games with.
ImageImage
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 pm

well to those who have me, add me to yours, https://plus.google.com/110769705285304648622/posts?hl=en link to my profile
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:09 am

ace wrote:I guess the reason I don't like it is because I'm used to facebook. It took me a while to figure out how to post something to someone elses "wall", I can't figure out how to make an album I made for my profile picture private and what not. Also it isn't even showing someone who added me to their "circle" as me being in their circle on my page even though I added them as well and crap like that. I think "+1" stuff is a pretty stupid name for it. It just seems like a very poor and buggy copy of facebook to me, nothing really new just relabeled stuff. The only thing I have really liked so far is that when you search for a page you can +1 it also on google's search engine, and I guess the circles thing can be nice but personally if I add someone as a friend I don't really care what they are allowed to see on my page, or I wouldn't have added them as a friend to begin with.

TL:DR - It's glitchy and a cheap copy of facebook.

Its not perfect yet. But I do like the circles. I like the idea of separating what my Friends see, What my acquaintances see, And what my boss sees. Just like in real life. I don't invite my boss into my house and drink with him. Thats what my friends do. My friends know where my house is and what is in it. My boss and acquaintances don't need to know all that. My boss doesn't need to know about that party Friday night and if the donkey survived or not. Those are for my friends. And I also like how clean it is at the moment. If it is going to stay that way time will tell. I hope it does. I like the idea of only having the content the my friends and I put there. It creates a clean social network. With no annoying app and game requests. No stories and wall posts from games cluttering up my news feed. No annoying friend finder crap in my sidebar. And that god awful new chat sidebar they just added that you cannot get rid of. I don't even use chat and it sits there and screws up FFIXER. It allows me to focus on what I really care about and joined Facebook for in the first place. Communicating with my friends. I just want a clean social network. Is that too much to ask?
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:51 am

Yea I see where your going with the circles thing but like I said personally I don't need it because I'm not going to add my boss on facebook/google+ anyways. I could see the purpose for business acquaintances but isn't that what linkedin is for? Idk, never even been on the linkedin website yet but it seems popular with the business crowd, but like I said earlier I'd rather not see anything related to work anyways on my facebook because that's what I use to talk to a lot of friends lol. It does look clean, but I don't have any app and game requests because I've blocked most of the popular ones on facebook, and also took off the big sidebar thing so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

On the other hand if google+ doesn't have any apps at all or any extra little doodad things I'm not entirely sure how successful it will be, especially with the older audience who just play farmville all day (or whoever plays that game). I dunno know, it's clean I'll admit that but not anymore functional than facebook aside from circles.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Many of my friends and I noticed this bar on the right that replaced the chat menu. It went from a little pop up frame on the right to a full frame on the page. Which changes the page itself and screws up FFIXER. And I would assume clicking "Hide Sidebar" would hide it until I used it. But It doesn't. It comes back when I reload the page. Its incredibly annoying to me especially since I never even use chat.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Ah that's weird, yea I noticed the bar but I just clicked hide sidebar and it hasn't showed its ugly face since. Try clearing the cookies or something?
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Thats a good idea. But it does it in Mint, 7 x32 and x64. In Firefox and Chrome. So Idk whats up lol. All I know is I know about 12 of my Facebook friends have the problem too.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Oh, idk then lol. I'm using firefox 4.0.1 on 7 x64 if that helps any, and appear offline as well as hide the sidebar. You could see if abp could block it, idk.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 pm

ace wrote:Oh, idk then lol. I'm using firefox 4.0.1 on 7 x64 if that helps any, and appear offline as well as hide the sidebar. You could see if abp could block it, idk.

Yeah that was my next plan.
<<

Puncharger

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 6 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 am

Wait.. It's like a new facebook type thing?

I didn't even know google was making one.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:17 am

Puncharger wrote:Wait.. It's like a new facebook type thing?

I didn't even know google was making one.

Yeah. So far my group of friends and I think its pretty slick. But as ace points out its really about taste. If you don't mind Facebook it might not change your mind lol.
Next

Return to General Chat